|10| Get Our Girl

Cayden's POV

    By the time my brain had processed the trouble that my mouth had just caused, I ran out of my kitchen, hoping that I could catch Brooke before she had a chance to leave. Unfortunately, I was too late. When I got into the living room, I could already see the taillight from Jake's car driving pass my house through the window. I watched as the lights got smaller and smaller until it eventually wasn't there anymore.

    Great job, Cayden. Jealously call the girl you've been trying to talk to for weeks a slut so you can watch her drive away in a car with the guy who made you jealous in the first place.

    A tug at the bottom of my shirt broke me out of my trance of staring out the window at a dark and empty road. I looked down to see what the cause of the tugging was and saw my daughter looking up at me with pools of tears in her eyes. "Why'd Miss Brooke leave, daddy? Was it because I jumped on her," she sniffled.

    "Of course not, Princess. She just wasn't feeling well," I told her, leaving out the part of me being the cause of Brooke suddenly being sick. "Why don't you start the movie with Uncle Theo and Mya  while I go make sure Miss Brooke is okay." I glided both my thumbs across her eyes, wiping her tears away.

    Just fucking great. By saying something stupid to one person, I didn't just make one girl that I cared deeply for cry. I made two.

    The fuck? Did I really just say that? When did I start caring for Brooke at all, let alone, deeply?

    I looked over at my couch to see a very confused Theo and a very unhappy Mya looking back at me. Picking up Cayleigh, I carried her over to the two of them. I leaned forward so that she could slide into Mya's arms. Mya's specifically because the look on her face told me that she was about to punch me square in mine if her hands weren't kept occupied.

    "Can you watch her for a little while," I asked Theo. "I gotta clean up the mess I just made."

    "Yeah," he nodded.

    I rushed to the door, grabbing my keys off of the table in the foyer. "Cayden," Mya angrily called out to me just as I pulled the front door open. I turned around to see her standing at the opposite end of the hall. "I just wanted to let you know, that even though I can see how much you regret calling Brooke — what you called her, I still think you're a piece of shit for even allowing that to leave your mouth. As a father to a beautiful little girl, I'm so disappointed in you for saying that to someone else's beautiful little girl. And for the record, a slut is the last thing that Brooke is. I've never seen her even talk to another guy besides the three of you, let alone hook up with them. You, however, have slept with how many girls? Who's the real slut here?"

    I nodded at her and made my way to my car, feeling like an even bigger asshole than I did before. Really, what was there to say? She was right! If someone were to ever call Cayleigh what I just called Brooke, my ass would end up behind bars with their ass kicked. And regardless of whether or not she sleeps around, that's not any of my business so I shouldn't be making comments on her sex life. She's not my girl. She's not in any type of relationship with me. Hell, we only hung out together once. Does she even consider me a friend?

    Well, if she did, she doesn't anymore.

    Before I knew it, I was already pulling into a stall outside of Brooke's dorm. As I got out of my car, a fist came flying out of nowhere and crashed into my cheek, causing me to fall back into my seat. I turned my head to see who the attacker was, only to find another fist coming my way, just in time for me to catch it perfectly with my nose.

    "Fuck," I yelled. I knew it wasn't broken. I've broken my nose before while playing football and the pain I'm feeling now isn't as bad is it felt then. But one thing's for sure, it is bleeding a shit ton. When the white light finally disappeared from my vision, I saw who the owner of the fists was.