|53| Beautiful Incident

Start from the beginning

    "Jakey," Cayleigh cheered as we approached him.

    "Hey Cay Cay," he replied while embracing her in a hug.

    I got in the both on the opposite side of them as Theo walked over to a vacant table and stole a chair so he could use it to sit at the end of our table. Jake placed a slice of pizza in front of Cayleigh and began to cut it into tiny pieces, just how she likes it.

    "So what's the special occasion for this impromptu visit," Jake asked. "Did our girl get another award at school?"

    "No. We just wanted to get out of the house," I answered while grabbing a few slices for myself.

    "Why didn't Brooke wanna come?"

    "Isn't it because she's hanging out with Mya," Theo chimed in.

    I laughed in response. "Nah, I was lying to you."

    "I don't know why," he said said in a nonchalant tone. "Mya and I are on great terms."

    I shrugged at him. "I just wanted you to think I invited one more person before you."

    Theo rolled his eyes at me. "A-S-S-hole," he mumbled to me under his breath.

    I turned and looked at Jake. "Nah, I don't know why she didn't want to come man. Things have been a bit weird lately with her."

    Theo smirked at me. "Oh? Is there trouble in paradise?"

    "No. She just seems a bit irritable lately."

    "I thought it was just me," Jake announced.

    "What do you mean?"

    "Yesterday we went to the cafeteria together for lunch. She wanted to grab a burger and fries before she went to work. Anyways, I stole a fry from her plate and she just tripped out on me."

    "You know B hates sharing her fries, dude," Theo told him with his mouth half full.

    "Yeah, I know. That's why I do it on purpose. Usually she just rolls her eyes at me and tells me to buy my own. But this time she ripped me a new one."

    "Maybe she was just having a bad day," I stated.

    "Or maybe you're not hitting it right," Theo mocked.

    "I'm hitting it fine thank you very much. And don't talk about my girl that way."

    "I agree," Jake groaned. "I would very much not like to discuss what goes on between the two of them on their kid free time." Jake paused for a quick second then groaned again. "Unbelievable," he glared at me.

    "What?"

    "Has she been asking you to go out and get her specific food," he questioned. "Like saying she's craving for it?"

    I thought about it for a minute or two. "I don't know if she was craving for them but yeah, she ask me to go to the store for her a few times this week."

    "And were they weird food combinations?"

    "Not really. But I did go to two different fast food places yesterday because she wanted McDonald's and Jack in the Box's onion rings."

    Theo and I stared at Jake, waiting for him to say what was on his mind. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit paranoid right now. I hope he's not insinuating that she's sick.

    "Can you just spit it out already? What's your point," I asked.

    Jake looked over at Cayleigh beside him then back at me. She was paying no mind to our conversation at all. Just eating away at her pizza pieces as she watched the little girl on the game next to us play her game.