Team Rocket Giovanni

I jolted out of my flashback and stared up at Hilda with shock. Beside me, Hilbert glared up at his twin.

"It wasn't their fault." He pointed at me. "It was mine. I told Lucas that there wasn't any other way."

"There's always another way to do things." Hilda spat, loosing Ethan's rope a little more. I could see Ethan's black eyes going into a state of shock and fear. He winced as a bubble of acid landed on the hem of his shirt.

Silver shook, staring at his love with terror. I knew how he felt. It happened to me as well. But only it wasn't Ethan who was dangling from the rope...

"Y/N, snap out of it." Wally shook my shoulders. The small green haired boy stared up at Hilda. "We'll get Ethan." Beside him, his Gallade let out a cry of agreement.

"No one needs to die." N called softly from his place by Cilan, Chili and Cress. The three gym leaders nodded.

Hilda's eyes swept towards him, softening just a little—

"What do we have here?" A voice boomed, startling us all. Hilda stumbled, the rope loosing making Ethan fall only an inch above the acid—Silver screamed. She caught the end just in time.

I felt my heart racing as I turned to find the source of the voice.

Gray eyes stared at me. A smirk was on the man's face.

"Giovanni!" Silver spat, being restrained by Steven and Wallace. My brother struggled in their grasp. "Let me at him! Please!"

They only tightened their grip, but not as much to hurt Silver even further.

"Sorry, mate." Hop narrowed his eyes at the former team rocket leader. "Can't let you do that." His Dubwool baahed in agreement.

"Y/N." Giovanni stepped in front of me. "It's been too long."

"What are you talking about? I've never seen you in my life." I frowned, ignoring Silver's panicked look.

"I can sense Xerneas' life force in you." Giovanni crept closer. I shivered, watching the evil man prowl around me. "It's a thorn that's been bugging you. And you want to get it out."

I frowned deeper. "What do you mean?"

"For ages, Xerneas has granted you life after life until you stumbled upon this one. And the soul inside you doesn't want to move on. The only way to stay in this time...is to remove Xerneas forever." Giovanni purred.

Remove Xerneas? My eyes went wide as I thought of the caring Pokémon who granted life. If it weren't for him, then I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have met N. I owe Xerneas.

"No." I stared defiantly at Giovanni.

He looked mock hurt. "But I am your father. You have to listen to me. It's the only way."

Everyone froze at those words. Even Silver stopped struggling.

"There's always another way." I thought back to the day Lucas had died and wished I had gone in his place—saving Hilda the hurt she had gotten that day.

I locked eyes with Hilda, pleading with her silently. She met my eyes and nodded ever so slightly.

With one quick movement, she slung the rope towards the Hoenn group and let go. Hilda knew what she was doing. Brawly dove to catch the bound Ethan and hurried back to his group.

Giovanni twisted toward Hilda with shock. "You—!"

"Our deal is OVER, Giovanni!" Hilda shrieked, sending out her Emboar. "Emboar, use flamethrower!"

Giovanni barely got away, if he was a few seconds late he would've been Pewter Crisps by now.

Hilda cursed and leapt over the acidic pool. "Damn it." She looked at me with a determined expression. "We gotta stop him."

Hilbert gazed at his twin with eyes wide. "Right. Team—let's do this." He cast an look towards me.

I couldn't meet his eyes, Giovanni's words still echoing inside me. It's the only way. What did Giovanni want? Hilda probably wanted to bring Lucas back—an idea struck me like Red's Pikachu had sent a Thundershock at me.

Of course. How could I be so stupid? I turned on my heel and raced towards the side door Giovanni had come from.

I could hear footsteps following me and turned the corner, heading towards Giovanni's quarters. This base was the exact layout of the Game Corner base in Celadon City.

I stopped in my tracks. My eyes went wide as marbles. The missing piece was already found. There was one person that Giovanni could destroy in order for me to break down and listen to his every command. One person who I loved dearly, through every form and soul. I just needed to find him before Giovanni did. If he was alive. If he wasn't, then I'd have to do it the hard way.