Bringing out the Power

(A/N: this will be from Colress's POV not from your POV :3 and I'm changing the pronouns to they/them for Y/N cause I think some readers are males. And btw, this little part of the story is a few years after the castle part)

I stood staring at a monitor. It's been several hours since I last saw daylight itself so when the door opened to my lab, I let out a hiss when the sunlight hit my eyes.

"Are you part vampire now, Colress?" A familiar voice called.

My eyes widened as I saw a familiar face. "Y/N!" I dropped my tablet and rushed to them.

They hugged me, laughing. "It's been a long time, friend. Far too long."

They were right about that. I rested my head on their shoulder as we did our two minute hug. I breathed in their familiar scent and almost instantly relaxed. This was perfect. Reluctantly I pulled away. Work had to be done.

"What's the matter? Is everything okay?" I picked up my tablet and inspected it for any damage. Ghetsis would murder me if I damage anything else.

"Any word from N?" They asked, concern making their brows wrinkle.

My fingers stopped just before tapping in my password to the tablet. N. When was the last time I heard from him? I still didn't get what Y/N saw in the guy. The two had an on/off relationship for a while.

"Colress?" Their voice floated over to me.

I looked up and they were standing at my desk, a picture in their hands. I felt my cheeks burn. I knew what that picture was.

It was just after I had graduated from college and had moved into a apartment in Mistralton City. Y/N had helped me move in, taking great joy in the task of moving boxes. Without any flying or physic type Pokémon, it was rough. And none of our friends had wanted to help the 'mad scientist' either, except for Y/N.

My eyes drifted over to where they stood at the window. We had taken a break from moving me in. I walked to their side and we both stood there watching the world below us.

"You never told me what your research was about, Colress." Y/N's bright e/c eyes flicked to me.

"Really?" I acted innocent. "But I remember I had told you." Y/N swatted my arm and I laughed. "Alright, you. It's called Bringing Out the Power of Pokémon. I want to know what is the best way to bring forth power between the bonds of trainers and their Pokémon."

Y/N listened intently, their eyes focused on my own. I felt my heart speed faster and sped up with my little speech.

"As a researcher, it is the truth and the ideal way things should be that I seek. The latent power of Pokémon...what is the best way to bring it out? If possible, I want it to be the trust between Trainers and their Pokémon. Just as it's always been. I want to know if this theory is true." I finished my little monologue and looked at them expectantly.

"I know why they think you're crazy now." Y/N laughed.

I burst out laughing at their expression and they held up their phone, taking a quick shot of me.

I stared down at the picture the older version of Y/N held.

"Have you found out if your theory is correct?" Y/N asked, gazing at me.

I shook my head. "Not yet. Hopefully soon. In the meantime, I'll continue to look for N. No signs of him yet—"

Beeping interrupted us. I spun around to see my monitors all going off with a red light. I hurried towards the keyboard and desperately hit the refresh code. Nothing worked.

I stared helplessly as all my screens turned black, leaving us in utter darkness. Then I heard Y/N's scream and whirled around. They were gone.

Fury filled my body and I let loose a roar of challenge. I wasn't going to let another person I loved go missing as well. I grabbed my lab coat and my bag and ran out, a mission in mind to find both Y/N and N.