Chapter 43: Lake Laogai

Start from the beginning

"I don't," but that seemed an obvious lie when Smellerbee rams him into a hug.

"We were so worried," She tells him, "How did you get away from the Dai Li?"

"The Dai Li?" I step back in shock.

Jet backs away too, "I don't know what she's talking about."

"He got arrested by the Dai Li a couple weeks ago. We saw them drag him away," Smellerbee explained.

Jet counters, "Why would I be arrested? I've been living peacefully in the city."

"This doesn't make any sense," Toph feels the ground between them, "they're both telling the truth."

"That's impossible," Katara denies.

"No, it's not," Sokka speaks up, "Toph can't tell who's lying because they both think they're telling the truth... Jet's been brainwashed."

Ope- maybe I was right earlier.

"That's crazy!" Jet yells, "It can't be. Stay away from me."

We all close in on him to take him somewhere private, sitting him down in a chair. Katara crosses her arms, "the Dai Li must've sent Jet to mislead us and that janitor was part of their plot too."

"I bet they have Appa here in the city. Maybe he's in the same place they took Jet," Aang states before turning to the brunette, "Where did they take you?"

"No where. I, I don't know what you're talking about." I feel bad. He sounds genuinely confused.

"We need to find a way to jog his real memories," I tell everyone.

Sokka smirks, "Maybe Katara could kiss him. That should bring something back." I laugh but cover it up with a cough.

"Maybe you should kiss him, Sokka," Katara spits back.

"Hey, just an idea," We think for a minute, "oh! Wait, I got it!" Sokka grabs a piece of grass from the floor and shoves it between Jet's lips.

"I don't think it's working," he blows it from his mouth.

Toph suggests, "Try to think of something from your past that triggers your emotions."

"The fire nation," Smellerbee offers, "remember what they did to your family?"

"Close your eyes, picture it," Jet does as Katara says.

His eyes almost immediately pop open as sweat beads form on his face, "no! It's too painful."

Katara stares off to try and think of a way around the pain, "Maybe this'll help." She bends water over his ears which soothed his mind while he relived those moments of his life. Something about it made him remember and talk in seconds.

"They took me to a headquarters under the water, like a lake."

"Wait, remember what Joo Dee said?" Sokka asks, "She said she went on vacation to lake Laogai."

Jet stands, "That's it! Lake Laogai."

• • •