Chapter 22: The Avatar State

So we've now made it to book 2!! ANDDD Ive got 3k reads now 🥺🥺 y'all too nice.
I wrote this chapter june 28th lol. Y'all had to wait 3 months lmao sucks

Havi's pov

I'm wandering about, alone in some strange land. Looking around I see thick clouds, a blue sky, blades of grass tickling under my toes. Where are my shoes? I ignore the fact and continue trying to find out where I am, "Katara? Aang? Sokka?"

No one answers as my call seems to fall on deaf ears.

Up ahead of me, I spot a long wooden bridge so hypnotizing that, like a normal person, I walk towards it.

Once I'm close enough, I see that it stretches across a deep ravine in the ground. Two posts and some rope is all that's holding it together at each end. Even with it being a rickety sight, I take the first step on and my stomach immediately forms a ball of dread but still, I can't stop. Something tells me I need to get to the other side.

As I get further away from the entrance, it gradually get more and more fragile until, from the center out, it begins to fall to the ditch, like a wave coming towards me. I turn on myself and try to outrun it, legs and arms pumping, but it's too quick and I end up falling all the way down until my back hits a new grassy surface.

Somehow, I've survived. Not even getting the wind knocked out of me let alone a scratch. I stand to look around the new scenery and notice that I'm on a small island surrounded with ice. "Hello?" I call out, "Is someone there?"

As if someone's punched me in the gut, I wince and look down at myself, where blood begins to dye my shirt red, "Stop! S- Stop!" I try to apply pressure but there's no gash to hold. There's nothing there. What's happening, why won't it stop? I fall to my knees and stare at the grass as blood pools around me, "Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop!"

I spring awake and my eyes dart around while I catch my breath. No oasis, no blood, nothing.

I'm okay.

My hands quiver as I pull up my shirt to touch the newly formed scar that's appeared. Around me slept Aang, Sokka, and Katara on hammock beds on some boat taking us to an earth kingdom town I believe. As quietly as I could, I sneak out of the room and onto the deck. Some fresh air would do me a lot of good.

I stand by the edge and watch as the waves smack up against the side of the boat. The gentle pattern calms my previously racing heart. With a deep breath, I grab my knife from my shoe and stare at it long and hard. Observing it's shape and size, curves and edges. While in thought, a second pair of footsteps join me so I turn to them, "Aang? What're you doing awake."

"I had a bad dream," he glumly explains, "What are you doing awake?"

I sigh, "The same reason."

He begins to take notice of my harsh glares at the weapon, "Hey, are you okay?"

I bite my lip and contemplate lying but I mean, it's just Aang, the most kindhearted of the group, so I shake my head, "I can't stand having this. Every time I feel it or see it, it just takes me back, you know?"

"Throw it," Aang suggested.

I squint at him, "Huh?"

"Throw it in the water," He expands, "You don't have to keep it you know."

"Yeah.. I guess you're right." My finger grazes over the blade one last time before I toss it into the waters below, at least 20 feet away. It was all quiet for a moment before I asked, "So, what's wrong with you? What was your nightmare about?"