Chapter 34: The Library

Hey,,, hey... how y'all doin?

Havi's pov

"Hello!" Oh my spirits, does this guy not have ANY common sense. He walks right up to the spirit, "I'm professor Zei, head of anthropology at Ba Sing Se university."

The giant owl speaks with a low voice, "You should leave the way you came unless you want to become a stuffed head of anthropology."

The rest of us walk out from our hiding spots. Sokka asks, "Are you the spirit who brought this library to the physical world?"

"Indeed, I am Wan Chi Tong, he who knows 10,000 things, and you are obviously humans, which by the way are no longer permitted in my study."

"What do you have against humans?" Aang asked.

"Hm," the owl starts, "humans only bother learning things to get the edge on other humans. Like, that firebender who came to this place a few years ago, looking to destroy his enemy. So, who are you trying to destroy?"

"What?" Sokka squeaks, "No, no, no destroying. We're not into that."

"Then why have you come here?"

"Um, knowledge for knowledge's sake?" At least be confident in your answer.

The owl replies, "If you're going to lie to an all-knowing spirit being you should at least put some effort into it."

"I'm not lying. I'm here with the avatar and he's the great bridge between our worlds," Sokka pushes Aang forward, "he'll vouch for me."

"Yeah, I'll vouch," Aang tells the spirit, "we will not abuse the knowledge in your library, good spirit. You have my word." We all bow to him.

"Hmm. Very well. I'll let you peruse my vast collection on one condition. To prove your worth as scholars, you have to contribute some worthwhile knowledge."

Professor Zei steps up first, "please, accept this tomb as donation to your library."

"First edition. Very nice." The owl takes it.

Next, Katara walks forward, "I have an authentic waterbending scroll."

"These illustrations are quite stylish," Wan Chi Tong takes it as well.

"Oh, oh! I know!" Aang grabs out a wanted poster of himself.

"I suppose that counts." The owl turns to me.

My palms get a little sweaty since I don't really have anything, "8 times 8 equals 64..?"

Everyone looks at me, "Huh?"

"Oh, you know.." I say I surely, "Multiplication?"

The owl stared at me, "I am surprised you've learned of such a thing in this time. I will take your words." I sigh with relief.

Sokka steps forward. "Oh, great spirit, check this out," he ties a piece of rope, "Tada! It's a special knot! That counts as knowledge."

"You're not very bright, are you?" I snicker at the owl's insult, "enjoy the library." Wan Chi Tong then flies off, leaving us on our own.

"Bright enough to fool you," Sokka mutters. I shush and pull him along.

All of us were together looking through different books in the area. It was a little ominous in here, and I still couldn't shake that hazed feeling, but somehow I felt very comforted. Like I was meant to be here.

The section we were looking at was pretty bland so I found myself walking further away while scanning titles. Eventually, I looked back for everyone but they were no where in sight. I guess I wandered off a little too far.