twelve

"I don't get it, why are we just sitting here?" I asked.

Will had driven away from the Holiday Inn parking lot and back onto the main road. We drove down the road until we reached a another hotel.

The Bellagio

It was unlike anything I had ever seen. We drove passed the front of it. A huge water fountain in front of an impressive building. A towering hotel casino with a unique architecture. I could see the valet parking and busy front entrance as we passed to park at the side entrance.

He parked the car on the side of the road across the side entrance, a golden revolving door accompanied by red carpet. Even the side entrance was grand.

"I'm waiting for someone," He said. "Who?" I asked. He stayed quiet. "I'm all in, remember? Who are we waiting for?" I asked. "A friend of mine who works as the doorman, just waiting for him to start his shift so I can ask him something," Will explained. "When does his shift start?" I asked. "Four," He said. I looked at the clock, it was five.

"Are you sure he's coming?" I asked. He stayed quiet. "Did you speak to him? Did he let you know his shift started at four?" I asked. Will said nothing.

"You haven't spoken to him have you?" I said.

Will only kept his eyes trained on the golden revolving door. "Will-this is why you should've stayed your ass in the hotel, stop asking questions. You want all in fine, shut the fuck up and just be all in," He said cutting me off.

I huffed and crossed my arms. I looked over at the revolving door. The current door man was standing intently in red and gold uniform. The entrance must have not been as popular, he wasn't really doing much.

He seemed bored. I felt that.

-

5:23 pm

"There he is," Will announced. My head whipped up. A guy struggling to straighten up his uniform. Shirt untucked, jacket half on and his hat falling off of his head. He was speed walking, clearly in a hurry. He was late for his shift.

"Stay here," Will said as he hopped out of the car. I didn't listen. I climbed out of the car and ran after him crossing the street.

"Every fucking day! What the hell is wrong with you? Huh? You think I don't have shit to do? You think I don't have places to be? I'm reporting you to management, I'm not buying the 'my grandma is dead' story any longer! Your a waste of space Nicholas! A grown man who can't even be on time," The other doorman was laying it in.

"I know, fuck, I'm sorry. Just hold on, I think I have some cash just fuck don't tell management," Nicholas, the guy we came to see was now digging into his pockets. Out came a bunch of coins.

"Are you kidding me? You know what, your done here," The doorman threatened. He turned his head to notice us. "The fuck are you looking at?" He screamed.

Nicholas looked up to see who he was talking too. His eyes met Will's and widened. "Their friends of mine, don't worry about it," Nicholas said. "Your hanging out with your friends during work hours? Jesus your pathetic!" The doorman said. "I know, I know, just go I promise I'll have one-fifty for you on Monday, just-" Nicholas cut himself off. "Two-hundred or I'm going to management, do you hear me? Two hundred," He screamed walking off.

Nicholas visibly relaxed after his coworker left. "Whats up big man," He said out stretching his hand to grab Will's as they did the handshake. "You alright Nick? He always talk to you like that?" Will asked. "Oh that? Don't worry about it. I got it handled, what do you need brother?" He asked. Nick was much shorter than Will, I was guessing five-eight with greasy black hair. "Actually I need to know where Jimmy and his boys are-Whoah-hold on whose this?" Nicholas interrupted Will gesturing towards me. "Oh um, don't worry about it," He said. I rolled my eyes.

"Hi, I'm Maria," I said. Nicholas smiled. "Hi, Maria. How are you doing today?" He asked. Nicholas eyes glossed over in amusement as he smirked. "I'm good!" I said. He looked between Will and I in silence. Eyes going back and forth between our two forms, smile growing wider.

"Oooohh! Okay," He said. "Its not like that, c'mon man don't do this to me," Will said. "Whoa brother I didn't say anything, I'm just observing," He said. "Nick, don't do this," Will said. "Do what? I haven't done anything!" He defended. "I know where your heads at, just please man," Will said. "Please what! I haven't done anything," Nicholas said.

"Just tell me where Jimmy and his boys are at," Will said. "Jesus fine! Here I was trying to be polite to your girlfriend!" Nicholas said. "She's not my girlfriend," Will said.

I couldn't help but to scoff. He could not be serious right now. Now I wasn't his girlfriend? I looked over at Will. Were his cheeks flushed? "Okay! Fine, you don't have to worry Mr. Cool guy I won't blow your cover in front of your girl like that," He said. "Man come on, I told you she wasn't my girlfriend. Don't go telling Bri any of that nonsense," He said. "Your secrets safe with me," Nick said. "What secret? I just told you we weren't together!" He said. "Can I tell my mom though? She needs to hear some good news. Greg's givin' her a hard time," Nick said. "Are you serious? Are you not hearing whats coming out of my mouth?" Will said.

"I get it! Your a ladies man! Always have been, always will be. Not gonna tell anybody," Nick said. "Oh my-now I know why everyone wants to kick your ass Nick," Will said.

"What about you darlin'? Why you following this deadbeat around?" Nick asked looking at me.

I thought for a moment. Wouldn't it be funny if I...?

"He's my boyfriend," I said. Will groaned out loud. "I knew it! Why are you always trying to keep me out of the loop? I thought we were family Will," He said. "Where'd he pick you up darlin'? You've been following him since Boston or?" He asked. "Nick! Shut the fuck up!" Will said.

I looked over at Will. "Boston?" I inquired. "This is why I told you to stay in the car," He said. "Why would you want your girlfriend to stay in the car?" I asked. "Maria, it's not funny. Cut the shit," He said. "Interesting, almost like it's uncomfortable when someone claims to be your girlfriend even when they aren't," I said.

"Maria, I get it, whatever I'll stop just don't say anything else," He said. "Where is Jimmy and his fucking boys Nick," Will said angrily. "Whoa, that is no way to talk to your cousin," He said. Will took a deep breath.

"Please," He said. "New location in the Clearmont shopping center. The laundromat at far right corner of the shopping center. When you walk in ask for JoJo, he's gonna ask who you know say you know Steve. When Steve comes up from the back let him know your my boy. If you have any trouble Shonda should be there for look out, ask her to vouch for you," He said. Will nodded.

"Be safe and take care of your girl," Nick said. "Seriously man, stop messing with me. This can't get back to Bri," Will said. "I know, but you know I can't lie to her! You know she called me, wondering where you were, when you were getting back," Nick said. "I know just-don't answer next time," Will said. "Now that's fucked up, the poor girls just worried. Are you forgetting she's all alone up there?" He said. "She's fine, why do think I'm here? If Jimmy doesn't have a stick up his ass I can get a wire transfer tonight," Will said.

Nick nodded. "I won't say anything. Just be careful Will. Your all they got. And you, you can do much better than this dipshit," He said. "Fuck off Nick, she's not interested," Will said. "Don't speak for the lady, when you get tired of Mr. Good looks and height come back here and I can show you a pretty mediocre time," He said. Ugh, I rolled my eyes. I guess sleaziness ran in the family.

'C'mon lets go," Will said.