Chapter 54

I pushed the thought aside, this is not the time to panic about that.

"We can't just walk through," I stated the obvious.

"Listen, I will cover them and then we run," Zane directed, holding the fourth card between his fingers. I nodded at him, preparing to sprint through.

The cards floating around Zane, shot forward, one after the other, cutting through the night air. The cards curved, swinging at the cameras and like a lid closing, they attached themselves to the camera lens, blocking the footage.

Without a second thought, I jumped on my feet, the adrenaline pumping through my veins as I ran to the door. I yanked open the door noiselessly and stepped in. I pressed my back against the wall beside the door and the next second Zane came in. He pulled the door handle and four cards floated through the gap before the door was sealed shut. I took in a deep breath and counted to five mentally.

The room was the same as last time, dark walls and shelves attached to them filled with boxes. One shelf was toppled over, objects invisible in the dark were strewn across the middle of the floor casting darker shadows.

I brought my hand up and tapped my watch thrice. White light shone through the wristband on my arm, illuminating the strap in a sparkling white band. The room was brightened by the torch, the contents faintly visible. I moved my hand across from me, checking the room.

"There is an office across from this room, but someone might be loitering there," Zane said, turning to face me.

"And where do we have to go?"

"Left, down this halfway, and then a right, the first room on the left." He said in a monotone and I latched onto the information.

"What about the third room in this row?" I asked him

"That is where the interrogation happens, where the new people are taken to threaten," Zane muttered sarcastically, spitting out the words.

"Are you guys in?" Jerrek's voice came through my earphone.

"Yes," I whispered back to him.

"Let me just check how many are there," Zane said moving to the door.

"Wait, you seal the cameras and I'll go. I am short and small, I think I can do this better." I called out, moving before him to grab the door.

Zane didn't protest, he gave me a short nod and stepped aside to let me peek through the door. From what I remember the office is not directly in front of this door, I will have to take a step to be able to see anything. I opened the door by an inch, Zane breathing deeply behind me. The bright lights from the corridor flashed into the room through the door, within an instant the cards flew past my head and glued themselves to the camera pointing at the door.

I took in a relaxed breath and put a foot out of the door, Zane's hand wrapped around my arm in a warning. I swallowed and bent down, Zane's hand slipping away. In a squat I crawled out of the door and crouched down further on the gleaming white floor, leaning on the wall behind me. The office had half windows with blue frames. I raised my head a little, there are five people in the front office, three of them were around their desks, their legs propped up and takeaways placed on their laps, they are having lunch. But the other two officers were standing near a machine, copy machine?

I ducked back down and scurried back to the door on bent knees. I gripped the door and fell inside, Zane sealed the door shut and I stood up, dusting myself.

"Five, we will have to run," I said, my voice subconsciously underlying a command.

"It is 12:35, we are late, that is why they are here," Zane cursed placing his hands on his waist.