Chapter 44

The trees curve, like benevolent giants welcoming our arrival, a soulful smile graces my lips.

I brush my knuckles on the rough tree bark as I pass by. The forest hums with life all around me, birds singing, insects humming.

I twirl about, gazing up at the canopy, light filtered from the foliage above- softened and freshly aromatic.

I took in a deep breath, the air entering my body, mind and soul. The wind whistles by, rustling the leaves and weaving through my free hairs.

How come I didn't notice this the last time I was here? That may be because of my constant stomps and temper tantrum.

I trudge along, Zane following behind me, letting me explore to my hearts content. We walk to the clearing, where the trees are scattered much further apart and the gas trimmed to the ground suitable for a picnic spot.

" This is beautiful" I breathed out unable to take my eyes of the ethereal beauty of the mellow nature.

" I am sure you have seen better" Zane chuckled, walking beside me, hands in his pocket as he looked at me. The filtered light illuminated his face in a golden glow, shoulders curved down and a playful smile on his face.

" Yes, I have seen some exceptional gardens and parks but this"- I paused, searching the words worthy to describe the scene before me " there is a different beauty in the untamed nature" in this forgotten town untouched by man. I spoke softly, letting the wind carry my voice to him.

I walked to the centre of the clearing and placed the basket on the ground, the quiet beauty causing my actions and voice to soften into a gentle whisper, a soothing happiness washes over me.

" Hm I think you deserve an even better view" Zane commented and I moved my eyes to him, a soft frown on my face as I gave him a questioning look.

He pointed at a tree, old, giant and sturdy with long branches as if welcoming us to take a seat.

" Have you ever climbed one?" Zane asks and I turned to him. I haven't climbed a tree ever before. Even when we used to play in the park; me, Thane and Maven; I never needed to climb a tree. Maven would take me up on her shield and Thane would be the one left to climb.

"I-, no I don't remember climbing a tree. Have you?" I asked the question obliviously. Zane's walk has changed, his usually stiff posture has loosened as if he knows that no claws can scratch him here.

" Yes, I used to come here every day when he-" he hesitated, breaking off his sentence to walk to the tree "This is the tree I used to climb, it has been a while but I think I can manage" I didn't bother asking him to continue what he was saying previously, that thought vanished quickly.

" Ah what are we talking about?" I asked nervously.

" Climbing the tree" Zane answered in a duh tone as if what he was suggesting was completely normal and not out of the blue.

" Ha, no thanks but I love my neck and I am in no mood to break it today" I backed away while shaking my head at him. No way am I going to climb a tree in this short skirt and fall on my butt, displacing several bones.

I shuddered at the thought.

" You won't fall Ariel, come on" He tried to convince me again but I shook my head in a no, falling down is a different thing but I refused to take any chances on embarrassing myself again.

I gave a nervous laugh, " I don't know how to climb a tree and I don't think I want to learn now"

Something looped around my waist, like an invisible pair of hands or maybe a rope. I gasped at the cool sensation and I was pulled to him with a slight jerk, almost like he was tugging the rope.