Chapter 52

Zane leaned on the window in the corner of my previous room, arms folded and head tilted towards the window, the sunlight illuminating his ink-black hair in a golden glow as they arched down to his eyes.

I tore my eyes away from him as I tried to explain the situation to Jerek who kept shaking his head.

"Jerek, it is alright, we will be in and out in a second," I explained to him, sitting across from him on the bed. There's not much furniture here, so it was either him sitting on the bed or the floor.

"Is she crazy, Zane, how can you agree to this? Do you even know what they did to him-"

"Jerek, are you going to help or not, we are not asking for your advice here," Zane snapped, cutting Jerek's statement with a warning glare. Although he was leaning on the window showing a calm demeanour I saw right through it, his coiled muscles and the discrete clenching and unclenching of his fist was a clear give away.

"Of course I am going to help, but don't you think Oreana should know about this too?" Jerek hesitated in his words, clearly taken aback by Zane but for some reason his voice lacked the anger, instead he softened it in understanding.

"We will tell her when we have the proof." I smiled at him, clasping my hands in front of me as my face brightened at the prospect that Jerek is going to help.

Jerek simply nodded, he glanced past me at Zane, and nodded again. "What is the plan and how can I help?" He asked with a sigh.

I sat straighter on the bed, "Kayden, my brother, he is a lawyer," I answered seeing the confused arched eyebrow that Jerek was giving me, "said that we are going to need some audio clips as a proof and some documents"

"Audios? You want to be there and record them?" Jererk asked with a bewildered expression, as if he was still having a hard time digesting all this.

"Ya, and I want to pick up some legal papers too, so maybe email it?" I asked, unsure if I will be able to pull off emailing documents with officers roaming around.

"Emails can be easily traced back, plus they will know something was emailed and that will point the gun at our head, if not today then tomorrow," Jerek answered, sitting straighter as he made a brilliant point. "But I have been working on these drives, you plug them in and I will be able to copy the files from outside the station." He explained with a trumpet smile and it was my turn to look surprised. He is against breaking into a station but isn't against making drives that can steal government data?

"How far?" Zane asked, walking closer to stand a few steps behind me and I involuntarily straightened up.

"Within 20-30 ft range," Jerek answered, looking behind me.

"That can work if we find the documents on the first level," Zane said, a thoughtful expression on his face.

I looked between both of them"There is more than one level?"

"The second level is where the lockups and the monitors are," Zane answered simply and it made me wonder how deeply he knew about the structure of the station and how frequently he goes there.

"Believe it or not they have cameras all around the town, at every corner" Jerek added with a tilt of his head.

That is why we couldn't meet Oreana in daylight, they were watching us.

I looked at Zane, our eyes meeting, and the gravity of his statement made me connect the dots. That is why he was so mad when he caught me sneaking into the station that day. And although I was careful about using my shield I can only hope that they somehow overlooked it.