Chapter twenty-one

Everyone was getting ready for the first round. William and I got busy, so did the contestant. Jenny and I have become very good friends and I stopped sitting with William at the popular table since the first time, even though he has guilt tripped me a thousand times.

  Speaking of Will, his leg got better. I think he will get his cast removed next week. James Anderson hasn't showed him the video, according to what he told me, but he said he would show him if I don't make a move.

Stephanie has been gloating around William, happy that she has 'conquered' me. Her words not mine. I really don't care. If my dreams don't come true now, they'll come true later in the future. I mean I'm 17, I have a lot of years ahead of me. Maybe I should open my YouTube channel or maybe I should focus on school, I'm thinking about being a writer or studying business, they earn a lot.

"Earth to Maria!" A finger snaps in front of my eyes.

"Huh?" I jerk back to chemistry class. I turn to the owner of the hand, Bill.

"You look like you want to drink that acid." He glances down to the acid in my hand. I quickly drop it and smile sheepishly.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just tired."

"Okay. The first round is this week."

"Yeah," I nod in confirmation. Miss Smith left two days for the competition Thursday and Friday, but being the good boy William is, he said we would be able to do it on Saturday, so we won't have to miss any class.

"Don't worry it will be over soon." He says

"I hope so, I barely get enough sleep." I mutter.

"The sodium hydroxide." He says pointing to the tray that carries chemicals.

"What?" I ask.

"You were supposed to hand me the sodium hydroxide." He states.

"Oh, sorry." I take a bottle and check the label making sure it's the sodium hydroxide before I give him.

"Thanks," he smiles and I nod after I give him.

The dismissal bell rings and we all scurry out of class.

"I'll see you around." Bill says waving at me and heading down the hall. I nod and see get lost in the crowns.

"Why would he see you around?." James says from behind me, frightening me.

"James Anderson! What the hell?!" I hit his shoulder, "you scared me."

"Why is he seeing you around?." He asks again, not bothered that I hit him.

"I don't know he's my lab partner, so maybe that's what he meant." I explain. "What is wrong with you?" I ask when he gives me a stern look
He stops glaring at me and scrutinizes my faces. "What?."

"You have blue eyes?" What? Is this guy drunk?. I roll my eyes.

"No, it's contacts." I say as I turn to walk down the hallway  with him tagging along.

"Why would you get coloured contacts?." He asks.

"I don't know, ask my mother." I say. My mum was the one who got contacts for me. She says my glasses makes me look goofy, but I really prefer them to contacts.

"So..." James talks after a minute of silence. "Have you  thought of a way to tell him?" He asks.

"Honestly?" I ask and he nods, "No! The competition is coming soon and we're going to be busy, beside it's not much of a big deal."

"Not much of a big deal?!" He asks in disbelief. "Have you heard yourself sing?" This is the second time he's asking me this question. "If Will hears your voice, he would think this competition is a waste of time."

"Yeah, I don't want that." I say quietly. "I mean there are other people who actually stand a chance and would really win this competition. I mean have you heard Becky sing?, she's really good." I say pointing to Becky who is talking to one of her friends.

"Please." He waves his hand, "she sounds like a dying horse compared to you." I laugh.

"I don't think so." I say when I catch my breath.

"I'm serious. Your voice is amazing." He says and I thank him, we head to the parking and stop at his car.

"You need a ride?" He asks me opening his car. I didn't bring William to school today. His mum volunteered to bring, she says he has to do something in town.

"No," I shake my head, "Jenny already offered." I say and see her coming out of the school building. "Speak of the devil." I say and she approaches us.

"Hey," she says looking all flustered and her hair is messy.

What the hell did this girl do?

"Hi Jen." I smile at her.

"James." She gives him the bro nod.

"Jennifer." He returns the bro nod.

"You ready?" She asks me.

"Yes." I nod and turn to James, "I'll see you around." I say.

"Sure," he say and gets into his car. Jen and I walk to her car, I can see her sister inside the backseat tapping away on her phone.

"Hey," I greet as I enter the passenger seat. She looks up from her phone and smiles at me.

"Hey."

"Riley, right?" I ask, Jenny has mentioned her name to me before, but I just want to clarify.

She nods, "Maria, right?" She asks as Jen settles into the drivers seat. I nod and she smiles, "Jenn talks about you a lot." She says and her sister sends a glare her way. "It's nice to see her with a friend."

I nod and Jenny starts the car reversing out of the parking space and out of the lot. I see the spot where James packed earlier is empty, as we leave. He must have left already.

I wonder what has gotten into him, before William came back, we hardly talk to each other and when we talked we always end up insulting each other and now he thinks of us as friends. Talk about complications.

  "When did she say she was coming?" Riley asks and I tune in their conversation.

"Saturday, I think." Jenny answers and her sister nods.

"Why were you looking all flustered when you were coming out of school?" I ask curiously and I see her face heat up.

"Yeah, I noticed that. What happened?" Riley asks.

"Nothing," she answers curtly, "I was just tired."

"Hmm, sure." Her sister says sarcastically.

"Yeah and that's why your hair was messy..." I join Riley and her face grew redder.

"....and your lips were swollen." Riley continues the torture.

"I fell asleep in class, that's all." She lies and Riley shoots me a knowing look and goes back to playing on her phone.

I think she's playing candy crush, cause all I'm hearing things like, tasty! Delicious!.

I don't taunt Jenny anymore, since she clearly doesn't want to talk about it, so I take out my phone  and earphone and plugged it in listening to my playlist.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

XOXO
Hannah.