Chapter seven

"I'm sorry, the spot is taken." The manager explains sadly taking the vacancy board away from the parking lot.

"Really?" I slump. This is so irritating. I've tried 8 shops, diners, and supermarkets but all to no avail. Nobody mentioned job hunting is going too hard.

This is the last diner I decided to try, Tammy's diner. It's near my school and not quite far from home, but some chick already took the spot.

"I'm very hardworking," I lie trying to persuade the manager that I'm the one for the job. "I am very reserved, like nothing annoys me, literally."

Well, this is annoying.

"I can clean up, dust tables and other dirty stuff and I'm also a people pleaser. Please I have nowhere else to go. I need this job."

Way to sound desperate Maria.

"I'm sorry Miss if there was something I could do for you, I would but we are just too full right now." Ugh!

"...but you can leave your number in case there is any vacancy."

"Really!?" I squeal happily even though I highly doubt that. "That would be so kind of you," I say taking out a small note from my backpack and jotting down my number before handing it to him. "Thank you."

"No problem, I have to get back to work." He says waving at me and walking back into the diner leaving me outside.

I huff and haul myself back to my car. I decided to go job hunting today since I have no extracurricular activity I need to attend and I don't want to be home early.

Nothing important happened in school today, no Stephanie and Kimi, no James Anderson and Will Tucker. Speaking of Will Tucker, he hasn't approached me to talk about the songs for the audition, or is he expecting to approach him first? If that's the case he's going to wait longer than that cause I don't make the first move.

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear thunder crashing.

Ugh! Really?

As if on cue, rain starts pouring from the sky. I hate today, I have a fear of driving in the rain, I mean most accidents are either caused by rain or snowstorm and I am not a fan of both.

I take my phone out and check the time, 6:58 pm, it's so late, mum would be worried.

I groan and start my car and reverse out of the parking lot. I turn down the volume of the radio, so I can concentrate on the road. It's times like this that I wish I wore my glasses because I can see a thing and also the road is slippery.

The sound of my phone startles me and I lose control of the wheel and out of nowhere a bike appears in front of my car, I try to swerve away from that lane but when I pump the brakes, the rider is down.

It takes five minutes for me to catch my breath and to also realize that I have killed somebody.

"What have I done?" I look around to see if anyone is in the street, but the street is super quiet. It's just my car and the motorbike rider laying lifeless on the road.

"Okay calm down, he is not dead." I whisper to myself, "you have two options now, turn the car around and act like this never happened, or call an ambulance and end up in jail or juvy, whichever comes first." I say sweating all over with the rain pouring down outside.

My phone rings again and I had to fight the urge not to throw it outside the window. "Okay, option two then." I gently step out of my car allowing the rain to drench me as I walk towards the lifeless body. I call an ambulance quickly as I see blood on the floor.