Chapter six

"I want you to read chapter 8 of your textbook, there is going to be a quiz on it next week." My physics teacher announces and the whole class groans, "and no I will not tell you when, so you better prepare, class dismissed."

The bell rings for lunch, as the class scurries out of the class I quickly write down the homework and quiz page in my notebook.

Thanks to Miss Smith and James Anderson, I didn't attend homeroom, so I got a 2000 word essay on the American power plant or I'll have detention twice next week, I tried explaining, but the teacher didn't want to hear it.

I would have gone for detention, but I heard the delinquents in detention are not the type of delinquents which nerds like myself want to get mixed up, so I chose the essay. It's not that hard I can just google it and change it in my own words.

I arrive at the cafeteria and it is fully full if that's a saying. To say the cafeteria is crowded is an understatement, those people who always skip lunch to enjoy the best burritos in town are even here and this is all because of Will freaking Tucker!

Where in the name of cheese balls am I going to sit?!

I don't have any friends and I can't go to the library, I still haven't returned the book I borrowed last year, not that I don't want to return it, my cousin Peter, who is also a book nerd like me, came around last summer and he took it back with him to Canada. So the library is a huge no-no for me.

I slumped and was about to walk out of the cafeteria when I hear someone call my name, I turn around and see Jenny waving at me to seat with her. I look at her table and see that she's the only one there. Now that's an advantage of being a loner, nobody wants to be friends with you, so you don't tarnish their reputation, that is if they have one.

Oh, the beauty of high school hierarchy!

I tell you, there is nothing beautiful about that.

I smile and make my way over to her table. "Hey" I greet as I sit down.

"Hey yourself." She smiles. "Talk about attention," she says nodding her head towards the center of the cafeteria where the CPK seats.

"You don't like him, do you?" I ask as I unwrap my homemade sandwich.

"No, it's not him I don't like," she corrects,  "it's the fact that they give him too much importance."

"This is the closest they'll ever be to a celebrity_" which is very lame. "_So give them a break."

"I know, but that doesn't mean they should worship him like a god." She scrunches her nose up in disgust.

"You know most of these people just want to win the competition," I say

"Oh I know, you see miss Barbie doll over there," she says pointing to the cpk table.

"There are a lot of Barbies over there, so you have to be specific."

"Yeah, right." She giggles, "Stephanie, your ex-best friend Stephanie."

"Okay?"

"You should have seen her at camp, following Will around like a lost puppy, I'm sure he gave her the award because he wanted to get her out of his hair," she says scrunches her nose. "You should have heard her song, it wasn't that good."

Ouch! I wrote that song!

I didn't want to say that so instead I said, "you went camping?"

"Yeah, as an instrumentalist." She boasts.

"What instruments do you play?" I ask with interest.