Chapter 20

We had just reached her base. As we got off the subway, we heard the loud bang. The loud bang which was coming from the zoo. We ran around the house she said, "you know what to do right?" "yeah. Make it fast I'll keep the door open. As long as I can." she stopped me and hugged me tightly. We had no time. I ran towards the path that lead to the right. I ran in it and after another right turn I saw a huge rocket. Isabel took the immediate left of the path our plan was that, she will join me once she initiated the rocket launch to its take off phase. I knew that her surveillance room was not a surveillance room but it was a control center and I was right she went in there and I suited up and opened the back of the rocket and attached the gyro compass to the rocket which I had taken out from the other one and it fit perfectly. As soon as I had plugged the chip in suddenly the banging on the zoo door had stopped, I heard the door it flew open crashing on the ground. I jumped on the stairs and climbed the rocket running and closing my helmet. I jumped on the seat and buckled up as fast as possible leaving the door open for Isabel. I looked through the main glass window, in the command center. I saw Isabel there she was standing there not making eye contact turned around looking at the wall. She was crying, she turned towards me and now I could look straight at her. She was covered with tears suddenly the door shut and the stairs to climb to the rocket started moving away. I panicked and carelessly started pulling the seat belt hard, which was stuck around me. It was locked I looked to my left again, I saw her I asked her screaming from the inside, "why? How will you come in now? What are you doing?" she replied in a teary voice from the rocket speakers, "I'm sorry but there is no automatic protocol, the rocket cannot leave the base without someone in the base to command its launch. The rest is in your hands good luck" I looked at her and the sacrifice she had made. We were looking eye to eye. We couldn't hold it back. I was watching her holding the gun, pointing it towards the lab which was the only was to the zoo except the subway. The rocket was about to take off. She shot one infected down I was yelling trying to tell her to stop what she's doing and come on board before it's too late through the radio I yelled, "there are 67 of them and one of you, you won't make it come on!" with a hard voice this might be the last time I see her. I saw the ceiling open from where the rocket will leave. Some dirt fell on the rocket. I looked at her again she had shot another infected coming to her. In a while the rocket was about to take off the countdown had started. With the mechanical voice, "5....4....3...." "No... No... No... I can't leave her here" "2.... 1......" I felt a lot of turmoil. The rocket had started its engine and the screen turned black because of the fast movement and with the last glimpse she had shot another. She looked at me trying to say something. I could see her blank expression where she had bid her goodbye and she suddenly started running out of the room towards her house. I didn't understand that but rocket started taking off, after a few seconds. I was crying. I heard a metallic cling and thought that a rock fell on the rocket. Suddenly the screen was beeping it showed a panel is open. I force closed it through the button and waved goodbye to Isabel with tears hoping that she would see it. I had finally lost her.

The beeping had stopped the same way the rocket was speeding I was losing focus. I was determined that even though whatever happens whatever situation I face I will face it with no fear. Isabel's sacrifice said it all she had taught me that it's not always necessary to put yourself Infront of others. These were the best couple of days of my life and I will never forget her. One day ill understand that maybe my life was made for this, made to save them it was not always about me, this time it was about them. I was thinking how I will never forget what she had done for humans, I will always remind myself of her. The rocket was silent. I had left earths gravitational pull. It was so weird writing in my journal with the only pencil I was carrying from the start, telling the journal instead of the word "we" I used "I." soo far had I already come that till now the word "I" was missing yet it felt good. This was the first time I had used the word "I" in my journal instead of "we." For once I felt I couldn't do it, and had no idea, but then realizing all this I was dumbstruck. I threw the journal to the corner of the only room. I was determined but I was still shook. I had lost Alison, I lost Isabel, I lost Jane and Schenon. All the people who were a big part of my life were vanishing one after the other and I was scared that one day maybe I would lose Emily too maybe that day is near...... maybe that day is today. I had the worse luck ever. All of a sudden, the screen showed, "activate space-time jump boost" I pressed the big red button and my seat made a capsule and engulfed me in it. The space ship went soo fast that I was thrown back on my seat and my tears now touching my ears. In an hour I had reached mars it was weird. I wiped my tears and took my seat-belt off which had once tied me from Isabel. I went to the back of the cabin and grabbed my journal and kept it in my bag. I could only see a thin atmosphere on Mars; it was white and cloudy. I saw the landing pad in the WWO's headquarters. Where I couldn't land because I was alone. So, instead I prepared for landing on the outskirts of the city. I entered the landing protocol. The WWO's had no clue I was coming because I was doing this without their knowledge, but as soon as I entered mars atmosphere, I entered their radar. The WWO's aimed with the high beam lasers on me while I was entering the atmosphere with a nice speed and the rocket was being shot with bullets and lasers which were trying to cut the rocket. It was a not-so-fast descend the gravity was trying its best yet it was not strong enough and I was still getting shot by them.