Chapter 12

We had planned to reach her base first. Gathering food and batteries for our shoes. We reached her back about 7 in the morning. We opened the big rock entrance and started climbing down the stairs. Suddenly we heard a loud bang she identified it and said, "make It quick I guess the infected escaped the zoo and are about to open the steel door" "how do you know that they are the infected instead of some other animal?" "because this has happened once before when I had 10 people but now there are sixty-seven, we won't survive them" we heard the loud screaming and the ugly noises coming from the zoo. They were very loud, as if they were about to be set free from the zoo. We made it quick rushed in the house. I was thinking of ways the infected had escaped the nanofiber iriticium which seemed completely impossible to me. So, I asked her, "how could they come out of their cage?" "well you see there's one area like a door covering the far corner of the cage which is make of steel which they had wrecked last time also. I guess they found it again and escaped. I searched the kitchen and she searched the storage room. We found nothing there, not a single thing to eat. She ran out of everything. The bag we accidentally left had everything and now we had lost all of it. We were running out of the house when she remembered at sudden, "ohh No! Maxie!" she turned around. I tried stopping her and telling her it was too late but she didn't listen she went inside. The pounding was growing to be more intense by the second and she was still inside. No sign of movement from inside the house just the intense loud banging. In a while she reappeared running out of the house with Maxie in her hand. I was staring at the steel door wondering about the 67 people behind it. She was running towards me, grabbing Maxie in one hand and with her other she pulled me. We started running up the stairs. Running upwards we heard the pounding echo in the whole base. We thought they would escape any minute now. We opened the exit and closed it right after us and started running in the wrong direction. I tried checked the compass it showed that we were heading South-West and accidentally I dropped the compass didn't say anything because we had to get away from them first. Going back for the compass alone could be risky besides we had the map... what could have possibly happened. Maxie was running along with us. He was an active dog. Running for a few minutes we saw the Italian base the collapsed Italian base.

I told her, "wait there might be something in there" she followed me we were on there mains of the buildings. We couldn't find anything. Then all of a sudden, we heard the loud noise again. Maxie started whimpering. It was them, more infected people coming from the distance. We saw the people from the church again. They still didn't leave us. They still kept coming after us. We started running away from them and they were following us. We tried cutting them short but in less than 15 or 20 minutes. We had reached the cliff the far most edge of Italy. We were trapped we saw them approaching us they were not so far away.I looked down the cliff I saw a deck and on the deck an abandoned boat with a canvas cloth roof I grabbed her looked right at her and said, "we will need to jump or we won't make it out" shaking her prominently to get my voice in her. She said, "I can't I'm scared of heights" "there's no other option you'll have to jump or die to them. I'm jumping first you see what I do and follow me" I took a deep breath tightened my straps closed one eye and jumped it was a long jump.I was in midair for about 5 seconds and I hit the canvas cloth. It suddenly bent. I jumped on the boat and off of the canvas and yelled, "now throw Maxie on the cloth" I saw her stand there hugging Maxie tight. Then suddenly she threw Maxie down. Who landed perfectly on the cloth. I pulled him down he was smiling like he enjoyed the air. She was scared. She tightened her straps looked back at them they were not far from her. They almost reached her. She took a deep breath I yelled again,"trust me!" she jumped off the cliff. Suddenly I saw a hand grab her bag she was pulled back upwards the infected got her. She was yelling for help I didn't have any bullets for my gun. She was hanging in midair trying to get free shaking and struggling to be left but they didn't leave her. I though there must be something I could do. I started searching the deck and opened the emergency supply section. I found food water life jackets and a flair gun. I picked it up it was loaded. I didn't think again. I aimed it at his arm closed my eyes.Because if I had missed, I could've hurt Isabel badly. I took the shot the flair went up but looking closely I missed the shot. It went right next to his arm almost hitting him and went in the sky. I had missed the only shot she started yelling louder stuck there in his clutches. suddenly the flair burst and the sparks came on her and the infected. they let go of her she was free falling. I pulled the rope which was tied to the deck from the boat towards myself making the boat go closer to the deck as she was about to miss the cloth but I pulled it so hard that the boat turned sideways to the cliff. She fell on the cloth and was saved by an inch because she was way off from the cloth. Scared, I took her down. She started laughing, she had took over her fear of heights finally she thanked me for helping her overcome the fear I said, "now we need a way to get to the Niger base" she said, "yeah..." she took out the map, opened it flat on the deck.She pointed where we were, we were. We were in the Mediterranean Sea under Italy's far most part she said, "Tunisia is not far from here we can make it and from there we can go to Niger, through Libya. I got up and suddenly heard something fall on the canvas it was one of them. She was tall and crawled right behind me,she was about to bite me when Isabel grabbed the fire extinguisher and told me to duck. I ducked she struck the fire extinguisher to her head. She landed in the water screaming loudly. I said, "this time you didn't strike me great improvement" she teased me. I got up and got off the boat she asked, "what are you doing?" I said, "someone has to take the ship away from the cliff or else there will be more of these people coming in out boat" I took the rope off of the anchor and with my legs I pushed the boat away from the cliff. I jumped on the boat and saw an infected jump but it landed in the water and slowly drown. Isabel tried figuring out the boats circuit. She was completely inside of the frame and she tried opening the engine I said, "did you try turning it on" she said"no, it must be off" I said come out of there. and let's check if it's on. I turned the key in position and grabbed the speed control and pushed it forward the boat started moving. "I told you it was working" "no you didn't!" I stuck my tongue out. The boat was fast enough to take us across in less than an hour.