Chapter 2

My job in the base is simple I'm a species specialist. I work with Jane. Our work is to find all the species that are left in the world including from microscopic to as large as the elephants. Speaking of elephants, we haven't really found one yet. We work 24/7 searching for new species around the world and whenever we find a new one, we do the correspondence and submit it which includes: how is the species? is it endangered? Are they having a genetic disorder? Are they healthy-passable etc. What I love about my job is that Jane and I with our leader Alison go out to the real world where we're supposed to find new species which truly speaking is a tough job and the best part of my job. Our species specialist team consisted of 9 people but with time we lost some of them. Now there are only 2 of us left, leaving the base has become hard. There is a whole county of infected people who we are forced to encounter every time we leave. However, humans have built land bridges in the year 2087. The bridges joining the major continents going over Atlantic joining the north and South America to Europe and Australia and many other bridges which made it easier for the infected to jump from one continent to the other and not gather at a same place making it hard for us to leave. They know how to take the automated high-speed trains which go across the land bridges. Now that they travel the world finding more to destroy and infect it's becoming hard to find animal species even though they are not affected by Vordox they are killed by the humans.

"All done" Jane said handing over the files, "you did a nice job cleaning my desk. Now that our job is done do you want to grab lunch together" I scoffed, "sure! Why not!" we left at once. I dropped the files on Jayla's desk which she immediately saw and was happy with my work. She then gave me and Jane a file on elephants, and tasked us to investigate if they are still alive or not. What were the odds I was just thinking about them. We headed to the cafeteria where we both got the same order which we usually do, in the middle of the meal Jane started to share her views on elephants and how her great grandfather had an elephant. Which she used to ride when she was little. Some of her thoughts about the elephants were similar to mine, we shared the same interests in animals we had the same animal likes and dislikes. I always find her attractive. She was tall, but shorter than me. She had wavy brown hair, a beautiful smile, glittering eyes and a dimple on her left cheek. I like the way she puts on her eye makeup it was always perfect. Jane knew that Jayla hated me and always underestimated me, never the less I didn't care about it. Jayla was always reminding me to believe in myself and work by giving all of my efforts and taking self-responsibility and stuff which I never really cared about. I always wanted to be to do what I see in myself and maybe it's just that Jayla doesn't see it. I always wanted things the way they were. I want humans back on Earth, and one day I will make it happen.

After lunch we headed back to our boring work place and started our research over elephants. we found out that they might be still wandering in the northern parts of Africa and we decided to head there tomorrow as it was getting dark and we could not risk more people we have already lost many and there are only two of us left. It was about 8 in the evening when they all headed for dinner and had a great time together; I could hear them laughing over some joke. I was always left out but I don't bother now anyways. Meanwhile I was up in my room trying to call Emily. In a few hours it would be her birthday. I was thinking of wishing her early, because sometimes at night the connection would be unstable because it was hard to communicate from Earth to Mars. She didn't pick up maybe because she might have been busy. I left a message, hoping to wake up early for work having received a reply from her.