Chapter Twenty One- Suspicion and Betrayal

Chapter 21- Suspicion and Betrayal

Colin was hiding something. This was different than him not answering my questions about the night I was cursed, or why I was having repeating dreams of Andres for the past three nights.

The dreams had not gotten worse, but were recurring. The only change was hearing Andres' voice become more menacing and distorted.

Putting the nightmares aside for a moment, Colin was lying to me once more. He had been telling me we were going to a hideout of Esen's and away from the kingdom. I believed it because I had no reason to think otherwise. It made sense for us to find Esen and for her to be far from the castle if they were chasing her.

And we did initially make our way NorthEast risking our lives on the mountain. It was the days after I noticed we did not continue that way.

Colin held the maps and was in charge of navigating. He seemed to be doing a great job at it until we started deviating from the plan he told me without my consent or knowledge.

He thought he was being slick about it too.

It did not take me that long to discover we were heading in a different way. The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. When we began moving away from the direction of the sun I became suspicious.

The sight of him trying to hide it made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I was just starting to put my trust in him and he pulled something like this.

He was leading us in the opposite direction he claimed, right toward the center of the kingdom. The place where Andres awaited.

I stayed silent hoping and praying he would let me in on his plan to justify the trust I placed in him.

But he never did, and I doubted more time would change that.

After a day of him misleading me in silence, I remained on high alert. I tried to remain inconspicuous and not let it show that I caught onto his little plan.

The only reason I figured he was taking us to the castle was to lead me into a trap, but I would not go in lightly. It helped that I had the upper hand in the scenario, he did not know that I knew. And I had every intention of keeping it that way.

Still, that did not stop me from sending subtle messages. It was clear they went over his daft brain.

I kept my dagger out most of the day. I used it to cut down vines, make sharpened shivs out of branches, and occasionally fiddled with it in my hands as we walked. The terrain was less mountainous and required less strain which left me more time to plot how I was going to handle this situation.

I kept the knife in my hand as a warning and an easily accessible weapon in case he tried anything. I doubted he would attack if he was leading me into a trap, though I wanted to err on the side of caution.