Chapter Three- Forbidden Fruit

Chapter 3- Forbidden Fruit

I jolted up into a sitting position, my eyes taking a second to adjust to the bright light. It took me a second to notice I did not wake up in a room this time.

I could feel the rays of the sun beaming down on me. I couldn't remember the last time I saw the sun directly. My view was blocked rather quickly by a lingering shadow.

My eyes wandered up to see a towering man with danger glinting in his eyes and a face shrouded in facial hair. The sun reflected over the object in his hand blinding me momentarily.

He was standing over me with an axe in his hand, positioned to strike me.

I screamed and instinctively put my hands in front of myself. It was a futile attempt at protecting myself. Just as I thought I was starting to understand this curse, I almost lost my head literally.

"Please don't hurt me." He seemed to be stuck in the position with his axe held over his shoulder. One quick stroke and I would be dead. .

"I haven't done anything, I'm sorry if I wronged you." Tears continue to stream down my face in fear. My hands remained outstretched in front of me. "I don't know why this is happening."

"What have I done?" I asked, my voice cracking towards the end.

His left arm twitches, and a second later his arm comes swinging down. My eyes close in anticipation of what was to come next. I heard my screams just as loudly as I heard the thump beside me.

I was not dead.

I open my eyes cautiously and see the axe embedded in the tree I was leaning on, inches away from my face.

The man, who looks like the huntmen that would pass through the village sighs. He runs his hands through his beard.

"Run." He commands, his voice harsh and rough. I stood still in shock that I was alive.

"Run!" He repeated louder. I scramble to my feet and he lifts his hand to help me up. Once I'm on my own two feet, his hand remained on my arm. "Run and don't turn back." He warned before releasing me and giving me a push in his opposite direction.

I took his advice and started sprinting in case he changed his mind and decided to come after me. With his tall frame it wouldn;t take long for him to catch up to me. The muscles on his arm suggested he wouldn't have a hard time killing me either. He swung the axe like it was an extension of his arm.

I don't know what caused his change of heart but I was not going to wait around to find the answer.

I looked over my shoulder to make sure he wasn't following me. He sees me watching and yells for me to run away. I briefly saw him pick up a jeweled box, the gems caught in the sunlight before turning my head and continuing to run.

I was running for quite some time before I stopped to take a break. I did not feel comfortable to stop until I created distance between myself and the huntsman.