Chapter Two- Spindle

I woke up gasping, feeling like a horse ran over my chest. The steady beat of my heart was a reminder of my life. I was shocked I was still alive, I fell out of a window.

There's no way I could have survived that. Though many things were making less sense recently.

I found myself in yet another room and another bed. I didn't hesitate this time and immediately began exploring. Maybe there was something in this room that held answers.

The room was small, although much larger than the shoebox attic Elle was trapped in. While that room felt cramped and claustrophobic, this was more open and homey with a lived-in aspect to it.

The bed was comfortable and the blankets were warm and plentiful. Delicate trinkets lined the dresser and plants filled gaps in the room.

I found myself gravitating toward the large window opposite of the bed. White cotton curtains framed the glass and overlooked a small vegetable garden. What drew my eye were the rows of roses, acting like a barrier between the window and the outside world.

I couldn't take my eyes off of the sight of the flowers. My eyes wandered further south and the sun shone on a single thorn, making it glint and sparkle.

I was so taken by the beauty of the roses that I completely missed the latch of the window. A latch that would leave me outside and hopefully back to my normal life.

I opened the latch quickly, eager to escape whatever reality this was. My leg was poised over the window when I heard someone coming closer to the door.

Letting out a curse underneath my breath, I hurriedly climb back in and jump back into bed.

Seconds later the door opens and I pretend to wake up.

A small woman in bright red robes and a matching floppy hat walks in with a warm smile on her face and a vase of flowers in her hand.

"Good morning Aurora." I guess that's whose body I'm inhabiting. The woman walks over to the dresser and places the vase on top. It was the same rosees from outside, but the thorns were missing.

"How did you sleep my dear?" She seemed to genuinely care about this Aurora.

I sat up in bed and nodded my head. "Good." There was a slight pause before I added, "When can I go outside?"

The woman stops fiddling with the roses and looks at me oddly. I did not like the look I was receiving. Was it something I said?

"You know you're not allowed outside Aurora." She comes over and sits on the edge of my bed, too close for comfort. "It is forbidden if you value your life."

She places a hand on my forehead and shakes her head. "You must be coming down with something. I'll make sure we get you some soup for lunch." She patted my shoulder and stood up to leave.