Chapter Nineteen- Lean on Me

Chapter 19- Lean on Me

The rest of the day was uneventful. Colin and I were too stubborn to be the one to break the silence. I refused to give him the satisfaction, and apparently he felt the same.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about that night and replaying the details I remembered obsessively. I did not know what he was thinking, but he seemed engrossed in his thoughts as well.

I was slightly angry at Colin for not being able to give me a straight answer on what happened. The more he refused to tell me, the more intrigued I become because it's clear he's hiding something. In a way, he was tempting me with vague answers.

And by the time we found Esen, I planned on figuring out what it was.

We stopped for the night shortly before the sun went down. We didn't want to continue in the low light and end up realizing the next day we were going in the opposite direction. Also, I was sure the heels of my feet were caked in blood from where his shoes forcibly rubbed off the skin.

Colin was the first to speak. He led us to a small clearing flanked by trees in the front and back. He tossed his satchel on the floor.

"We make camp here." He said gruffly. I nod in acknowledgement and resume ignoring him. I busied myself unpacking my roll from my bag and leaning it against a tree.

I turned my back to Colin in subtle defiance and faced the tree. My cloak was my blanket and the roll was thin and did not provide the support I was used to, but I held in my complaints.

I should be grateful I'm alive.

I could hear Colin readying himself and mumbling things underneath his breath, most likely complaints about me. Soon they became nothing but whispers as I gradually fell asleep.

I thought I would be frightened to willingly go to sleep after the trauma I experienced, but sleep came easily, and for a moment I was in a blissful dreamless void.

Until the void began to morph. Suddenly I was witnessing a jumble of my past selves, one after the other.

I was back in the tower with ever flowing golden locks. Before I could comprehend the resurgence of the curse, I was shoved backwards out off the window. I remembered screaming, but when I opened my eyes, I was in a forest.

An arrow whizzed past me head, embedding itself into the tree behind me. I turned my head in shock. When I faced forward again, the dream transformed again. I was in the dungeon with my finger poised to prick the spindle.

I could hear someone calling my name. The voice was familiar as it encouraged me to puncture my skin on the needle. My body was in a trance while my mind screamed for me to run away.

I knew only bad things would happen if I pricked myself. It was the same situation as last time, only this time I had the proper hindsight.

"No!" I screamed and with all my strength and willpower, I tore my hand away. That also happened to be when my body chose to wake up.