Chapter Fifteen- Curses Galore

Chapter 15- Curses Galore

"Don't be alarmed." I rolled my eyes at him, he should be the one alarmed, I had him pinned against the wall with a knife to his throat.

Gone was the moment of fear from his eyes and his infuriating sense of calmness took over. "I can explain all of this over breakfast." he gestured to the fruit he was cutting.

"I'm not hungry." I persisted, pressing the blade closer to his skin but not hard enough to draw blood. Food was the last thing on my mind, I was finally in a position to get my long awaited answers and he was not swindling this moment from me.

"You haven't eaten anything in 2 weeks." Colin reminded me like an overbearing parent.

"I'm the one in charge here." I warned. My body chose that moment to defy me, and my stomach let out a wallop of a growl. I expected him to look smug and arrogant, but Colin just smiled knowingly.

I decided to listen to my body and go along with his plan for the time being. I released him from my hold, keeping the knife.

Colin was unphased for someone on the brink of death and it was aggravating how he could be so placid in the face of danger.

He motioned for me to take a seat at the table while he busied himself gathering the fruits. I sat down at the further end of the table and watched as he continued whistling as he had before I walked in, arranging fruits like nothing was wrong.

He took longer than it should have, placing pre-cut fruits on a plate. Finally, he placed the bowl directly in front of me and took a seat at the other end of the table. He watched me intently until I reached for the contents, almost relieved I was eating.

I surveyed the contents of the fruit, searching for the smallest piece to placate his fascination with my eating habits. I took a slice of an apple and nibbled on it quickly.

I hated to admit it, but the feeling of food in my stomach did make me feel better. Of course I did not reach for a second piece no matter how much I wanted to. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

I waited a full minute before beginning my assault of questions. Frankly, I thought the whole minute was too restraint.

"What am I doing here?"

"I'm Colin." I rolled my eyes at his second introduction. He kept saying his name like it was supposed to mean something to me. ""I'm a friend of Esen's. She told me where to find you and how to keep you safe until the curse wore off."

"Who is Esen?"

Colin cleared his throat and shifted his gaze uncomfortably. "She is the witch who cursed you." He chuckled sheepishly.

I sat there simply staring at him, my face devoid of all emotion. I studied his face to see if he was telling the truth. It also helped seeing him squirm and be uncomfortable as I tried staring into his soul.