Chapter Sixteen- Circles

Chapter 16- Circles

Chapter 16- Circles

I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing. The thought itself was ridiculous and the way he said it so seriously only made me laugh harder. Prince Andres after me, ha!

"This is not funny." Colin said, though my reaction proved the opposite. He just sat there pouting at me for not believing him with a stern look on his face.

Andres was harmless, sweet and a prince no less, they have chivalry in their blood.

I wiped away the stray tears leaking from my eyes, my laughter finally subsiding. "Thank you for the laugh, I haven't done that in a while." It felt good to release an emotion other than frustration and confusion for a change.

"You need to take this seriously Jana."

"I don't believe he is the one I'm in danger from." I said honestly, my eyes flicking to the knife on the table as a silent warning. "He's done nothing to warrant this verbal attack."

Colin slammed his hand down on the table, bringing it down with a loud smack. It shocked me how calm and collected he was before compared to this fit of rage.

"This is not a joking manner." He seethes. "Prince Andres is not the man he seems to be. He is coming after you and has been for quite some time. And before you go on about how you do not trust me, know this. Esen placed you in that curse to protect you from him finding you."

"What would happen if he found me?" I asked, my voice awfully small.

Colin sat down and ran his head through his hair. "Nothing good Jana."

"How do you explain whenever the prince in my dreams showed up, I was close to being saved? Or how I was sure he would come and save me?"

Colin shook his head, "Those were warning signs. What happened shortly after these men entered the dream?"

It dawned on me. "I died."

"Exactly, you died when they would get too close to you. Esen found a way to infiltrate the spell-"

I interrupted with another question, though with all that's happened I'm not apologizing for seeking answers. "I thought Esen was the one who cursed me?"

"You were hit by several curses that night." That's never something a person wants to hear "The first," he explained, "rendered you unconscious. You were hit by the spell of another sorcerer employed under Andres. Esen had to work quickly and adapt the spell before it sunk in. She added protective measures which caused you to die after he would get too close to you and allowed an escape with the following rendition."

"What was the sorcerer's spell meant to do?"

"I don't know the exact logistics of it." He answered. "It happened so fast and I received a quick brief on the situation at hand before I took you and ran here."