42

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*chapter forty*

Cho sat next to the ocean, watching the way the waves crashed down on each other. He tossed a small rock into the water and watched how the waves devoured that too.

He sighed and looked down at his hands.

Just once, he wanted to use them to do something for himself. What felt like had been all of his life,  they hadn't been his. They'd been Eden's. Or at least since he was six.

He didn't remember the faces or voices of his parents. All he knew was that they had to least look a little like him and his sister.

"Cho!" a familiar voice called out to him.

He smiled and turned around, facing the most precious person in the world, to him at least.

"Byeol," he said, waving his little sister over.

She spotted him and ran over, sitting next to him. Cho ruffled her hair as she giggled.

She really does look a lot like me, he thought.

"You need a haircut," he said, realizing how she was literally sitting on top of her long blonde hair.

"Mom said I'll get one after her big plan," she said, playing with the edge of her dress, "She also told me come to get you."

Cho frowned when she called Eden her Mom.

"She's not your mom," he corrected, looking down at her as she looked out at the ocean.

"Yeah, but she gets mad when I call her anything else," she said, "Even mother doesn't work."

"Really mad or just mad?" Cho asked, raising his brows in concern.

"Just mad," Byeol replied, "Don't worry."

Cho just nodded. He stood up, holding his hand out to his little sister.

"Let's go back before she gets really mad," he said.

Byeol smiled and slid her tiny hand into his much bigger one. Cho smiled as they walked together.

At least I can make sure she lives a full life, he thought.

✵ ✵ ✵