08

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*chapter seven*

I shot up straight on the couch and looked at his eyes. He was serious.

Why...are you leaving me too?

"Dad," I said, "two months? That's a long time."

"I'll be back before you know it," he said, gently, "We need this money. You know that. This job in Japan will give it to us. We just have to sacrifice two months of time together."

"I'd rather sacrifice money to have more time with you," I replied, honestly.

"Mihi," my father said, pulling me into a hug, "I would love to as well, but that's not reality. If we sacrificed money, you wouldn't make it anywhere in this world. Don't you want a better future?"

I pulled away and saw tears in my father's eyes. It didn't matter what I wanted, my Dad needed to do this. Even if he didn't have to, I knew he felt guilty about bringing me into this sort of life. If he got more money, it would give him some closure, and he would be happier.

I just have to sacrifice two months...it's okay, he's coming back...

"Yes father," I said, "Of course I do. When are you leaving?"

He smiled so big and then wrapped me in his arms again. I'd do anything to see that smile.

"On Saturday," he said, "These next two days, I'll spend so much time with you, you'll be sick of me before I leave."

I could never be sick of you.

I smiled and then pulled out of the hug.

"I'll be back quickly," I said, "I just have to call a friend I was planning on meeting today."

"Don't skip hanging out with your buddies for me, Mihi," he said.

"Don't worry," I replied, "I want to."

I then backed out of the living room, and rummaged through my backpack that I had thrown next to the door. I pulled out my phone and clicked on the contact I saved for the phone at the garden shop.

Zanique answered.

"What do you want?" he asked, rudely, "And you're late."