02

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*chapter one*

I was just about done.

My boss was yelling at me again. Just who did he think he was?

Yeah, sure I wasn't there on time. But it was just one time. He didn't have a right to do this.

No, stop. You need this job.

I balled my hands into fists and breathed in and out, directing my angry glare at my own lap.

"LOOK AT ME WHEN I TALK TO YOU," he yelled, "I SAID WHEN I HIRED YOU THAT WE HAD STRICT TIMES. THERE'S PEOPLE OUT THERE WAITING FOR THEIR DRINKS AND THEY AREN'T GETTING THEM."

"Then let me go work," I said, looking up angrily at my boss, "stop yelling me for one single mistake, and let me give these drunk men more alcohol."

"That's it," he said, clenching his teeth, "I've had enough of your attitude."

"No," I said, "I've had enough of your attitude. You can't break up with me. I...I break up with you."

I was going to get fired any day at this point. Might as well have some fun.

"What the fuck..." he said, stepping back as I smirked, "Get out. Now."

"If you say so, mister," I said, grinning.

I walked out of the bar, shoving away drunk, old men that got too close for comfort.

I work, or I guess used to work, at a bar. I knew it wasn't the safest option for a junior in high school, but I had no other choice.

I lived in a small town, with not many work options for young people like me. The bar was the only place that gave me work right when I needed it.

And I still needed it.

I sighed and sat down in the bench next to my house. I wasn't ready to go in yet.

I put my face in my hands and tried to calm down.

Why did I do that?

I really hated myself. And my stupid attitude problems. The guy was being an asshole, he was probably drunk himself, but why couldn't I just roll with it like usual instead of blowing up? And then making a fool out of myself, instead of saving myself, afterwards?