"But Wei—"

"Brother! Stop worrying. It pays well. Plus I made a new friend. He joined today itself. He speaks a little bit of Mandarin. His name is Leo. He said we can earn $2500 a month. And then we can move out of here and live in a better part of the city. You always wanted to become an engineer right? And once we have enough, we will go back to China and live well there"

Yifan would be lying if he said he wasn't tempted. So he did not speak further but just nodded his head.

"It will be okay. Everything will be okay", the youngest clapped happily before hugging his brother. Yifan hugged back, closing his eyes as he cherished his brother.

But everything was far from okay.

———•••———

10 years ago

Yifan was eating lunch when the door slammed open. Wei came running in, looking extremely disheveled and out of breath. He had a bag in hand which Yifan did not recall seeing before.

"GET UP BROTHER, WE HAVE TO RUN"

"What—", the older did not have any idea what was happening or why the younger was so panicked.

They lived a relatively better life though they hadn't earned enough to go back to China. But they were able to move to a better place and also eat proper square meals a day. They even spared some money to be able to buy things they like or new clothes. It was better than they had ever been.

"GET UP! THEY WILL FIND US—", Wei stopped in his words as he saw something outside the window. Something that made his blood curl and eyes widen.

He threw the bag away and pulled Yifan up. Both of them ran towards the door when was a noise of footsteps outside and Wei halted. He immediately latched the door close. Yifan watched in fright not sure what was happening.

"Find that motherfucker, he lives somewhere here", muffled yet dangerous words were heard from outside.

Wei dragged Yifan towards the window and without a word, pushed him outside the window as the older fell. Luckily they lived on the ground floor and the fall just gave him a sore back.

"Run brother. Run from here. Don't stop. Just run", the younger said with tears rolling down his eyes before he shut the window. If he escaped, the men would chase after and in process kill both him and Yifan. But the boy didn't want anyone harming his older brother.

"Wei—WHAT ARE YOU DOING? OPEN UP!"

From their house, the thud of a door was heard. "Yedam Hyung please listen to me..", Wei's voice was heard. Yifan didn't understand what was happening at all. He stood up in panic to open the window but he couldn't as Wei had pressed his body against the window.

There was silence.

After a few shouts and yelling, gun shots were heard. And familiar screaming.

Wei's screams.

Yifan fell to his feet as he heard this. His entire world stopped as he heard the younger one shriek before everything went still. Inside the men looked at the body in front of them before one of them scoffed. "Thought he could steal $20,000 from Bangtan and get away. Fucker. Thank god Sakura snitched on him"