47. Wu Wei

Third Person POV

13 years ago

"Take this", a lady pushed a ward of cash in a young boy's hands. "And leave. Leave right now", she warned in Mandarin.

"But Mom—", a then 19 year old Yifan tried to resist. "Come with us. Please. Come with us"

"I cannot", the lady pleaded. "Go. Take your brother and leave Guangzhou. Give this money to Shen on the port and he will take you out of the country"

"Mom—"

"Go", she cried and pushed him before turning and running away. Yifan yelled and cried as he tried to run behind her. But someone stopped him. He looked to the side to see his younger brother holding onto him.

"Lets go brother", the younger pleaded. "If they find us, they will kill us too"

Yifan paused for a second. Calming himself down, he took one more look at their house in the distance. A sudden gun shot followed by a flash of light made him attentive.

"Find the boys! They must be here somewhere", someone yelled in the distance.

Without a thought he grabbed his younger brother's hand as they ran. Away from the loan sharks who were behind his family. Ran until their feet were bloodied. Until they reached the port. Until they saw the ship they were supposed to board.

"Uncle Shen!", his younger brother Wei called for a man in the distance. The said man came running towards them. Yifan handed him the money and they were quietly ushered into the ship.

Onboard The Anji, headed to South Korea.

———•••———

12 years ago

In a small dingy room lived the two brothers. Yifan ironed his janitor suit as he waited for his brother to get home. Wei said he was going to get a job today. He didn't mention where but the now 18 year old said he had been approached by some people who were willing to give him work.

Yifan, 20 used to work an illegal job cleaning an office complex with which he had managed to make enough to rent themselves this small room in the underprivileged part of the city.

"Brother", a voice made him look up as he saw his brother walk in, a smile perched on his face.

"Wei", Yifan enthusiastically smiled. "How did your job hunt go? Wait, you must be hungry right? The workers at the office where I clean ordered a lot of meat for lunch. Some was left and they gave it to me. I got it home so we could eat together"

"I got a job brother", he said.

"What!", Yifan was surprised. "You did? Where? What is the work? Is it construction like you were saying two days ago?"

"No brother. Its—", Wei hesitated. "The job is protecting an important Mafia boss. I don't remember the Mafia's name because they were speaking in Korean. But I think the leader's name was Namjoon. Kim Namjoon"

Colour drained from Yifan's face as he heard this. "Wei", his voice was laced with worry. "You don't have to work in Mafia. Its dangerous. No. I am not going to let you do it"

"Its, its not dangerous brother, trust me", Wei sat down beside the older. "There are a few Chinese people too. And they said work is very easy. Accompany the boss in a car along with the other men. And then occasionally transport some bags which they ask to. They will also teach me how to drive. I even saw the Boss. He is not very old. Even younger than you. He is the same age as me"