Fourteen-"I plan on staying with you for the long haul."

Jack's P.O.V.

The doctor had returned with Riley 25 minutes later. Madison and I just stayed and chilled around patiently waiting for Riley to arrive. 

“Jacky, am I dying?” She asked me after tears spilled from her eyes. 

 “No, sweetheart, you’re okay, you’re just a bit sick. Nothing’s going to happen to you, princess,” I wiped the tears from her face and her hair that got stuck on her face from all the tears and sweat. 

“Oh. I’m sorry, Jacky,” She looked away. 

“Princess, sorry for what?” Madison came up to me and held my free hand as she looked at Riley with such love. 

“I ruined your date with Madison, I got sick leaving you to just take care of me and not do anything for yourself.” She looked at Madison and coughed, “I’m sorry,” 

Madison pulled me aside as she bent down to Riley and whispered some stuff in her ear. When she pulled away and came back up Riley smiled. 

“I love you guys,” She looked at the T.V. 

When Riley fell asleep after watching the T.V for only 10 minutes I looked over at Madison and asked her, “What did you whisper in her ear?” 

She giggled, “You’re funny if you think I’m actually going to tell you,” 

I pouted, “Rude”

She shook her head, “Not rude, just trying to gain her trust. I plan on staying with you for the long haul.” She smiled at me. 

I looked at her, shock written all over my face. 

“Yeah?”

She nodded, “Yeah,” 

I leaned forward and whispered in her ear, “I know I said I wasn’t ready, but gosh you’ve changed my mind.” 

I backed away slowly just enough to have my lips over hers, she looked at me and I looked at her for confirmation. When she shook her head, I looked down in embarrassment.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. 

She shook her head, “No, no don’t be sorry. I’m just thinking of when you said that you feel like you’re cheating on her when you wanted to kiss me. I just want to know who ‘her’ is.” She played with her fingers. 

“Oh. Umm, this is kind of hard. But gosh, you’re right. I truly am sorry.”

“Umm, okay. A couple of years ago I was in a relationship with a girl named Kayla. Kayla Matthews.” I looked at her and she looked shocked. 

“Kayla Matthews. Oh my gosh! Is that Mr.Matthews daughter?!” When I nodded she told me to continue. 

“We dated for around 3 years. I was in love with her. I truly was and she was in love with me. Late in our relationship on March 18th we found out she had a brain tumor. It turns out it was already at a grade 3 stage. It scared the shit out of me. The love of my life had cancer you know? I had my dad and mom and they were both so supportive of our relationship. When my mom had found out she broke down sobbing, because she had already from the start considered Kayla as family. My dad was so supportive and helpful at the time, he had helped my mom out; he offered money to help pay for the tests and everything. He was trying. A couple months later we found out that it had spread way too damn fast and now she was at a grade 4 stage, and that she didn’t have much time left. Her dad, being a single father he was struggling, and he was, is a teacher. So he accepted some money from my dad but it didn’t help because well Kayla ended up refusing the money and accepting the fact that she was dying. She didn’t want anyone to mourn over her because she feels that she did great in life and that she accomplished things at a young age and in her words “This is my fate, and I’m okay with it because it give a chance for others to succeed the stuff I was able to at a young age,” She was always like that; so humble, sweet, kind, courageous, she really was amazing.” I sighed as I rubbed my face through my mask. I was tired of the damn mask. But I was also tired of life, not much I can do about it.