Eight-"I just wish we were enough,"

Jack's P.O.V.

I was about to leave the house when, 

“Jack! Don’t you dare move.” My mother had the nerve to say. 

I scoffed, “Oh, so NOW you remember your kids?” I emphasized on the word ‘now’ knowing that she flinched. 

“How long has this been going on?” I asked them, pointing at the two. 

“That is none of your Goddamn business.” Father yelled. Of course, only him. 

"It is my Goddamn business if it includes hurting my sister and I. Have you thought of that?! Huh? Have you thought  of how much this would've affected us? I know the answer. You don't have to answer. But, just think of this. Your kids, your daughter especially is the one who had to put up with this bullshit. And just know I will take her away from both of you." I yelled, angrily. All my anger has finally been released. All those years, all that anger has finally been released.  

Father came and slapped me across my face. Well damn, was it not enough hurting me yesterday? 

"Don't you dare speak that way to your mother and I. You are the one we should be punishing. Mmm. Why weren’t any of you at school today? Huh? Oh, that’s right you forgot that I get messages when one of you is absent.” 

“Honey, calm down,” My mother held him back. 
“Why? This ungrateful, little, asshole, should appreciate me more. I’ve given him everything!” He shouted.

“You’ve given me everything?!? LIAR! I’ve been fending for Riley and I for a while now, at least 2 years, what have you been doing?! Oh, right, drinking! You’re out drinking! You’re abusive! If it wasn’t for me, Riley would’ve been beaten up just as badly! You go to work and act so high and  mighty, we get it, you love yourself, a lot. But, no one would believe me if I ever say you laid a finger on me,” I fought back. For the first time. 

“Jack!” My mother yelled, bewildered. 

“What?” I turned to my mother, “Is it so hard to believe that your ex- husband abuses your kids?” 

I was seeing red. No doubt. I walked toward him, fast. I wanted to punch him, I did. But, I didn’t. I held back. 

Be the bigger man, Jack. 

Be the bigger man. 

And, so, I did. 

I grabbed Riley’s scarred hands and glanced at my mom, “I hope you’re happy,” and I walked away. 

"Jacky, where are we going?" Riley asks, after driving around for an hour. 

"Nowhere, Princess. I just needed to get out of there. And, I know you did too." 

“Jacky,” Riley stops for a second, and looks out the window. 

“Yes, Princess?” 

“Did daddy ever love me?” 

I sucked in a breath, 

“Princess, why would you ask that? Of course he does!” I try lightening up the mood, even that was difficult. 

“He doesn’, does he?” 

“Prin-” I couldn’t finish, she cut me off. 

“ Stop sugarcoating it, Jack!” She pouts, crosses her arms over her chest, and turns to the window. 

"I'm not a baby anymore. I'm old enough to know I'm not like others. I don't have a father, my mom left when I was a little girl, I only have you… and I want you to understand you're enough. But, sometimes I just want more. And, I'm selfish for that." She looks down, a tear falling of her tan face.