Twelve- "You're good with kids,"

Jack's P.O.V

We finally arrived at Madison’s house. Riley was overjoyed, she was excited to play with Madison’s dolls and apparently more than just that. 

“So, Riley, why don’t you go up to my room while Jack and I hang around down here for a while,” Madison recommended, as she bent down to Riley’s level. 

“Okay,” Riley nodded as she ran upstairs. Worried, I made sure she ran up the stairs carefully, and I was prepared to run in case she slips. 

“So, what was that for?” I asked Madison as Riley reached the top of the staircase. 

“Well, I don’t think it would be interesting to her if she was in here listening to us talk about school,” She grabbed 3 Tumbler cups that I know for sure were from Walmart.  

She filled two of the cups halfway with water. She took the other one and filled it up with orange juice. She quickly served a plate of a variety of cookies and grabbed both things and walked upstairs. 

She jogged back down and smiled at me. 

“So, what now?” I asked her. 

“Well, now I believe we should talk about our field trip to London,” She said excitedly. 

“Well, I’m not going,” I announced. 

“What, why?”  

“Other than the fact I have Riley to care for, I’m just not that interested.” I shrugged, Riley means the world to me, leaving her with my father won’t work out. He'd just do whatever he wanted to her, and no one would be there to stop him, it’ll be too dangerous. 

“And, either way, I can’t afford a passport, so yeah, those are valid reasons honestly,” I explained further. 

“But, Jack,” She whined. 

“Who would I talk to? You’re like my only friend, honestly. And it's our senior year. We deserve to have a little fun, don’t we?” She looks at me, eyebrow raised. 

I sighed, she was right. But what about Riley? She meant so much to me. 

“Fine, I admit, you’re right. I do think I can truly enjoy it. Riley just means the most to me, I don’t think I can deal if something happens to her. You know?” I admit. She nods along. 

“Well, for the passport, I can help you with that, my mom works with the government,” 

“Oh, think she’ll help me out?” 

“For sure, she loves you, probably more than me,” She placed her hands on top of mine and smiled. 

"I doubt it, literally almost everyone in this town is afraid of me, I bet when a crime occurs their first thought is me." 

"Well, then they're all ignorant. Because what's that saying again, oh, right, don't judge a book by its cover." She laughed as she took another cookie. 

“So,” I trailed on. I didn’t know what else to talk about. 

“So,” She laughed again.