Chapter 30 - Passing Judgement

Obi-Wan expects the reactions to the security recordings from the Chancellor's office, but that doesn't prepare him for the fight. He knows it will be a hard fight to keep them from judging Anakin too harshly, even if he himself is stung by the realization that his brother murdered an entire tribe and never told him.

The Council's fears that the Chosen One is falling are legitimate, though unfounded. A pity none of them will accept his reassurances. "He is dangerous," Windu asserts firmly, "We cannot condone this behavior."

"No one is suggesting we accept it," Obi-Wan points out, "Obviously he will face repercussions, but we never even heard his side of the story. We can't pass judgement without listening to him."

"Your attachment is clouding your judgement, Obi-Wan," warns Windu, "The issue is not that he committed these acts, but that he kept them a secret from everyone, even you. How are we to know that he isn't hiding something else too?" The murmurs of agreement are not reassuring.

A grim determination fills Obi-Wan. Even if he has to leave the Order, he'll fight to his last breath to ensure Anakin gets justice. He understands his brother's grievance against the Council even if he'd never admit it aloud. It's true that they should have known better. This – Anakin's fight against the Dark Side – is their fault.

"I hardly think that is severe enough to warrant expulsion," retorts Obi-Wan.

"He's allying with Dooku," Mundi reminds him, "Your own allegiance to the Order has become clouded as a result. It is undeniable that you care deeply for Skywalker. You will always defend him." True that. Obi-Wan takes no offense to the words. If they're going to settle this matter, they must speak the complete truth, even if it will hurt.

"Expelled he should not be," Yoda intervenes, "But care we must take. Dangerous times these are." Obi-Wan feels a sense of relief that Yoda supports him. It is unlikely the Council will overrule the Grandmaster of the Order.

"That's what I was saying," Windu agrees, "If Skywalker slips into the darkness without our noticing, think of how much untold damage he could cause without our knowledge."

"But he is the Chosen One!" protests Obi-Wan, "How can he fulfill his destiny if we'll turn our backs on him because he's losing his way?" As much as it hurts to acknowledge that Anakin is slipping, he knows it to be true. He saw the evidence in his brother's eyes; evidence he will not let the Council discover. Anakin needs help, not condemnation. They broke his trust once. Doing so again would only worsen his emotional state.

"We can still help him even if he's not in the Order," suggests Eeth Koth.

"We shouldn't expel him," demurs Shaak Ti, a Togruta, "He just needs some time to recover his balance. He's not evil, just misled. Remember that he's been manipulated by a Sith Lord. He's going to be struggling." Obi-Wan lets out a quiet sigh of relief. He's grateful to not be the only voice of reason on the Council. If the others see his side, they won't be as inclined to punish Anakin so harshly.

"We need to vote on whether or not Skywalker should be expelled," Windu announces, "We've discussed this already in detail. And I do not feel that Obi-Wan should be allowed to vote. He has an emotional involvement and would not be unbiased."

Obi-Wan is hard pressed to suppress the flash of irritation at Windu's words. The man clearly has a grudge of sorts against Anakin. He's never thought that Anakin should be trained, and clearly, his opinion has not changed over the years. He's not surprised when the Council unanimously agrees with Windu. Obi-Wan will not vote, though they all know his opinion.

He silently asks the Force to guide everyone to make the right choice, regardless of their personal stance on Anakin's behavior. If the Order abandons him, he'll only be that much closer to Falling. Before they vote, he has one more thing to say to them. Hopefully, it will turn their opinions to be more lenient with Anakin, despite his actions.

"With Anakin being so close to the edge, we can't afford to be harsh. He needs our support, more now than ever," Obi-Wan begins, immediately drawing their attention. He meets everyone's eyes, his cool mask firmly in place. Anakin would call it his Negotiator persona.

"Not only would expelling him be wrong, even if he broke the Code, but it would also go against everything we've ever believed as Jedi. If this is what the Council decides, then I will accept it, but I am duty-bound to say that I feel Dooku is correct. The Jedi have become complacent. We have allowed our own arrogance and infallibility to blind us to the Sith Lord hiding before our very eyes. And if you decide to expel Anakin, then I cannot, in good faith, remain in an Order which cannot help its own." He pauses as his words ring out in the now quiet room. "If this is the path you choose, then I will leave the Order and join Anakin."

A surprised – if not shocked – silence fills the room as the other Jedi Masters look between one another. Obi-Wan has become one of the leading members of the Council, and the thought of him leaving is almost inconceivable. A silent resolve fills Obi-Wan. Maybe this must occur to allow the Order to change for the better. Or maybe Dooku's vision of the Sith is correct. Perhaps it is the will of the Force that he and Anakin both join the newly reformed Sith Order.

"Decide this in haste, you should not," chides Yoda, "To expel young Skywalker, we have not chosen." His ears twitch slightly as his eyes dart around the room. "Vote on this we must."

One by one, the Council members cast their votes while Obi-Wan reaches into the Force's soothing currents, silently listening to its message. He might be a Jedi obligated to listen to the Council, but first and foremost, he serves the Force. He gets the sinking feeling that Anakin's trails are far from over. Even before he knows the results, he just knows his brother will be expelled. Together, they will embark on a new journey and venture into the unknown.

"It has been decided," Windu states with finality, "6 in favor and 5 against. Skywalker will be expelled until he proves himself capable of the control necessary to remain firmly on the Light Side. We will call him in to hear our decision and see what he has to say on the matter."

Despite his previous expectations, Obi-Wan still finds himself slightly surprised that the Council voted against Yoda's opinion. The Grandmaster is rarely in the minority. Glancing around the room, he senses that Yoda was joined by Plo, Fisto, Adi Gallia, and Shaak Ti. A bittersweet feeling flits into his awareness, and he releases it to the Force. This is – it's really the end. He'll be leaving the Order.

The Order has always been his family, but he loves Anakin more than the rest of the Jedi. Anakin is his brother, his son. He won't let him face a life outside the Order – with his shattered dreams – without him. This all seems so wrong, but there's also a strange sense of rightness to it. Of finality. Perhaps this is where he's been being led this whole time. He doesn't want to leave, but he's not being left with a choice.

He will have to speak with Ahsoka. He suspects that she will not want to remain in the Order if her master is being expelled. He knows how much she cares about Anakin and him. More than likely, she'll unofficially join them. Obi-Wan briefly wonders what Dooku's plans are – for the man surely has some. No doubt he'd expected this to occur, or at least prepared lest it come about. They will have to leave the planet before he's tracked down by the Council.

Windu summons Anakin back into the Council chambers, and Obi-Wan silently braces himself for what he knows will be a tumultuous encounter. The Order has been Anakin's life. It's been his biggest dream to become the greatest Jedi, and Obi-Wan knows it. He knows this will not be easy – not for Anakin to hear or accept.

Anakin enters the room, striding resolutely into the center before bowing to the Council. Obi-Wan shifts in his seat as he studies his brother's face. There are no traces of the emotional boy he's come to know. Anakin is wearing an emotionless mask; one he always wears during the heat of battle. He's clearly bracing himself for the worst, but Obi-Wan can see a faint flicker of uncertainty in his eyes. It's not overt, but having known him so well for so long, Obi-Wan knows it's there. It's in his posture too. He's holding himself in a way that tells Obi-Wan he's scared. He's terrified he'll be expelled, and now his worst fears are about to be realized. This is a huge mistake, and Obi-Wan doesn't think the Council even realizes what they're about to do.