Chapter 42 - Coming Undone - Rewritten

For a moment, no one moves as they all stare at Sidious' dead body, Anakin slowly pressing the release on his helmet and pulling it off so he can see it with his own eyes. "It's over," whispers Ahsoka, relief blooming across her face.

Anakin is about to nod and make a witty comment when he feels an icy dark presence latch onto his mind and press against his shields. He doesn't need to ask, he knows. "Oh no," he murmurs faintly, "This isn't good."

"Anakin...?" Obi-Wan's worried voice enters his mind through a haze as he gathers the Force to hold off the unseen attacker.

"I think," he tells them with a feigned note of lightness, "That Sidious believes my mind to be his new home." He can feel the alarm ripple through the others as a sledgehammer hits his mental shields making him wince and put a hand on nearest wall for balance – which results in him staggering slightly as he takes a few steps backwards.

"Can you fight him alone?" Dooku's tone conveys his concern. "Perhaps Kenobi can help you?"

"I don't know," Anakin bites out, though it's obvious his irritation isn't directed at the Count. Pain sears through his mind. Let no one ever say a mind invasion is painless. Let me in. It's a thought, practically a plea, but he won't give in. He nearly gave in on Coruscant; he won't now.

The next assault brings him to his knees, breathing heavily. A distant part of his mind is worried that Sidious probably doesn't care if he destroys him mentally. The Sith Lord's power has him floored – no pun intended. He shouldn't be stronger than the Chosen One.

"I can help you," Obi-Wan reminds him, crouching down next to him. He doesn't wait for Anakin's response, opening their bond and reaching out to him through the Force, his determination and concern flooding through it. He shifts, so he's crouching next to Anakin, close enough to touch him.

"I –" begins Anakin, thoughts scrambling as the room seems to start spinning around him. Groaning, he tilts his head back against the wall and closes his eyes. He might be powerful, but his power has never extended far mentally. He's always had a hard time with meditation and shielding, something which has now become his biggest weakness. Oh, he could easily withstand any amount of mental probing, but Sidious isn't trying to prob his mind for information. No. He's trying to get in, so he can get a foothold to hold himself here.

Obi-Wan presses against the thin shield over their bond, silently urging Anakin to drop it and let him in. Anakin knows he should but something inside him twists painfully at the realization that his former master will see every emotion and thought in his mind. You can't trust him. Palpatine's voice slithers into his head, the attack continuing at full strength.

He won't be able to hold out much longer. He needs help, but he doesn't want it from Obi-Wan. He doesn't want to be completely vulnerable with him. "Master, let him in," begs Ahsoka, kneeling next to him, blue eyes wide with fear. Her vision. Of course. He'd promised not to let it happen. He won't. He can't –

When Obi-Wan wraps an arm around his shoulders, pulling him close, Anakin realizes he's shaking from the furious battle over his mind. He shouldn't be hesitating like this, but if he's being honest, he's scared. He's scared that Obi-Wan will see something inside him and reject him. Part of him still fears that it's his fault Obi-Wan faked his death. Perhaps because he thought him unworthy in some way. Of course, murmurs Sidious, obviously sensing the thought. He will never be able to understand you.

"Can't," he mutters faintly, closing his eyes again, but not before he catches a flicker of hurt on his former master's face.

"Skyguy, you have to!" insists Ahsoka desperately. "I'm nowhere near strong enough to fight off a Sith in your mind." His refusal is hurting his sister too now, only in a different way.