Chapter 3 - Making Arrangements

A sigh of – is that relief? – escapes Dooku. "There is something else you must know," he murmurs. Anakin freezes again. The Count's expression, posture, tone – everything screams serious. If it's enough to concern the Sith Lord, Anakin knows he'd better be alarmed.

"Yes?"

"Sidious – he has an interest in you, Skywalker," Dooku tells him, "He intends to make you his apprentice, and I suspect he will have me killed."

Anakin just stares at him for a moment before laughing. "Seriously? I'm never going to turn to the Dark Side and betray the Jedi."

"You could," disagrees the Count, "You have a lot of anger in you, more so now than I've ever seen. Anger leads to the Dark Side. Fear leads to the Dark Side. And my master is confident that you will fall."

"He's wrong," denies Anakin. He must be, right? Anakin doesn't know why he'd ever betray the Jedi by joining the Sith. It's – it's simply unthinkable, because he's not a traitor. He wouldn't do that to Obi-Wan... except his brother is dead. Anakin swallows. Another harsh reminder. Something he's still desperate to escape.

"No," counters Dooku, "He has plans for everything, and I know he's been working on you, but that's neither here nor there. My point is that for you to help me, Sidious cannot suspect anything. That's why I'd initially wanted Kenobi. I'm afraid you will have to fake your death."

Anakin just stares at him, trying to comprehend what he's saying. Fake his death? Make everyone think he's dead? Not likely. "I – I can't do that," objects Anakin. I can't lie to Padme like that. I can't hurt her like that. I can't hurt Ahsoka like that.

"You must," insists the Sith, "If you do, then we'll be one step ahead. It's crucial that he not think I've captured you. If you disappear, what would happen? The Council might assume you left without telling anyone because you're upset over your master's death, but after a while, they'll probably think you were captured. Sidious will order me to find you, capture you. It would not be an ideal situation. It could compromise my plans."

Anakin sighs. How does someone argue against flawless logic? If Dooku is deceiving him, he's doing a really good job, and he clearly thought out a perfect plan. Still... he doesn't want to be responsible for the galaxy's fall. Fine. Fine. He'll do it. Even if he doesn't like it, but there will be stipulations. He can't – won't – make Padme and Ahsoka think he died.

"How do you think I should do it?"

Dooku looks thoughtful for a moment, and his eyes dart towards Anakin's starfighter. "Crash your fighter. It can be set onto autopilot, and you can arrange it in such a way that everyone thinks you died in it."

Anakin shakes his head, "I can do it, but I don't think anyone will buy it. I'm an excellent pilot. The chances of my crashing are low."

"Perhaps accidentally," agrees Dooku, "But some might think it was intentional."

Anakin gapes at him, realizing what he's suggesting. "I wouldn't commit suicide!" he hisses, suddenly outraged at the insinuation.

Dooku chuckles quietly, "I wouldn't expect you to." He looks serious as he continues, "But with your master's death, some people might think it's a possibility. At the very least, it will take them time to figure out what might have happened, and by the time someone suggests that you were captured, Sidious will hopefully be dead."

"I hope so," mutters Anakin, "I'll do it, but I want to tell my Padawan and... someone else that I'm still alive. I don't – can't – put them through it."

"It's risky," Dooku warns him, clearly not happy with the idea, "Even if you're certain they'll keep your secret, the thoughts of non-Force sensitives can be read."