Chapter 30 - Planning - Rewritten

The Star Destroyers are well into hyperspace by the time that everyone convenes in the main conference room for a conversation regarding the future. Aside from Anakin, Obi-Wan, Dooku, and Ahsoka, Rex had also been invited to attend. Anakin is glad to see that his clone captain isn't too injured to stand or move around. He had worried been about Rex, especially given the injury he'd sustained during the fight against Sidious.

"The Council went further than I had anticipated," Dooku admits as he officially begins the meeting. "I doubted they would be willing to offer us any aid but given how important Skywalker has been to the war effort, I never dreamed they would imprison him."

Anakin taps into the Force, checking on how everyone is feeling. Rex is wary of Dooku's presence, but his unwavering faith and trust in Anakin is overshadowing any doubts he might have. Ahsoka is uncertain whether or not allying with Dooku is wise, but her optimism outweighs her doubts. Of all of them, Obi-Wan is the most cautious, though Anakin doesn't know if it's because of Dooku or because of something else. Perhaps he's still troubled over his own actions – or the Council's.

The mention of the Council's actions sends a tendril of anger vibrating through him. Anakin knows that they have every reason to be cautious of him, but now that he's free and away from them, his defeat, betrayal, and hopelessness have been replaced by anger. "I have no doubt that all of you will be declared traitors to the Republic," Dooku continues. "We need to change our plans. Sidious is likely on his way to defame me to the Separatists as of right now. We can no longer rely on them for support. I have contacted a number of key people and explained the situation to them. While we can be certain they will help, it will not be enough. We need to find as many allies as we can."

"Does this mean that we've just divided the Separatists?" Ahsoka asks. Anakin can hear the amusement in her voice.

"Unfortunately," Dooku agrees. "We need their support now more than ever. I could easily see the Jedi Council – and Senate – deciding that we are the bigger threat."

Anakin winces, suddenly realizing exactly how dire their situation is. He hates politics and political intrigue, but this is something which they have to resolve together. Hard though it may be, he has to listen to what will undoubtedly become a boring discussion about politics. He can almost feel Obi-Wan's resignation and does his best not to make any sarcastic comments to him through their bond.

"What about some other clone battalions?" Rex suggests slowly. "Do you think that having them might help?"

"We could theoretically try and take much of the Republic's army," Dooku concedes, "But it will only provide us with military strength, at the moment. Until we reach Serenno, I cannot be certain how much of the Separatist Senate will pledge its support to me in the face of the most recent developments. There were few who knew that I was working with Sidious, and I imagine many of them feel... betrayed."

Yes. Okay. That will definitely be a problem. Anakin resists the urge to make a snide comment about the Sith causing unnecessary problems, especially given how close he is to asking to become one. Besides, it would only aggravate Dooku, and they don't need to fight amongst themselves. Taking out his stress on the Count isn't going to help anything.

It would be nice to have the support of more clones. Everyone knows that the clones in the 501st are some of the best, especially since they are as unconventional as he is. That's why they're superior to droids. They can improvise. They have emotions. They can think through situations. He's never seen them as disposable. They're his comrades, brothers almost. They fight together. They protect one another. But, on the other hand, they really don't need to paint a bigger target on their backs.

"Is there any chance that the Senate might be persuaded to see reason?" Obi-Wan inquires.

The Count hesitates. "Perhaps. I was considering sending them a message, giving them our side of the story, and asking them for concessions, given the uniqueness of the situation."