Chapter 27 - Decisions - Rewritten

Before Windu has a chance to launch into his proposal for how to deal with the situation, Obi-Wan leans forwards, determined to have his say. "With Anakin being so close to the edge, we can't afford to be harsh," he cautions. "He needs our support, more now than ever." All eyes turn to him, and he silently hopes that his words along will be enough to make them be more lenient with Anakin, despite his actions.

He meets everyone's eyes, his cool mask firmly in place. Anakin would call it his Negotiator persona. "I can understand expelling him – he did break the Code by getting married – but, as Jedi, we should let him leave without burdening him further. I will, of course, respect what the Council decides, but I am duty-bound to say that I feel Dooku is correct. The Jedi have become complacent. We have allowed our own arrogance and infallibility to blind us to the Sith Lord hiding before our very eyes." He pauses as his words ring out in the now quiet room. "I cannot, in good faith, remain in an Order which cannot help its own. If this is the path you choose, then I will leave the Order and join Anakin."

A surprised – if not shocked – silence fills the room as the other Jedi Masters look between one another. Obi-Wan has become one of the leading members of the Council, and the thought of him leaving is almost inconceivable. A silent resolve fills Obi-Wan. Maybe this must occur to allow the Order to change for the better. Somehow, he doesn't feel nearly as conflicted as he did only minutes ago. Instead, he feels completely at peace. Perhaps it is the will of the Force that he and Anakin both leave the Jedi Order and find their own path. Together.

"Decide this in haste, you should not," chides Yoda. "Discuss this matter the Council will." His ears twitch slightly as his eyes dart around the room.

"I think it is quite clear that Skywalker is too dangerous to be allowed to walk free," Windu points out. Obi-Wan's hands clench on the armrests of his chair, but he gives no other indication that he's upset at the words. If he loses his calm now, they'll never listen to him. "I feel that we should arrest him, containing him the way we do all Fallen Jedi. Perhaps he has not yet given in, but it is only a matter of time, especially if he already wishes to embrace the Dark Side."

Obi-Wan wants to say something, anything to defend Anakin, to protect the direction the conversation is taking, but – he realizes with a sharp pang of guilt – had his eyes not been opened and if this wasn't about Anakin, he would agree. The worst part is that he can understand why Windu is making such an extreme suggestion. Perhaps it would be wrong to imprison a volatile Force sensitive like Anakin, but should he walk free, the amount of damage he could cause has the potential to be extreme.

"I concur," Mundi declares. "He allied with Count Dooku as well, thereby making himself a traitor. His instability is reason enough to keep him here at the Temple. We do not have to inform the Senate that he has been expelled. We can simply tell them that Skywalker has been temporarily relieved from duty for personal reasons."

"But imprisoning someone who has done no wrong?" protests Plo. "I think that is going too far. He has not yet given in to the Dark Side, and I have faith that, with guidance, he will be able to refrain from losing himself entirely."

Obi-Wan can't quite hide the gratitude he feels towards the Jedi Master. At least he's not the only one who is shocked by the suggestion. But still, he feels, with rising dread, that the result is a foregone conclusion. If the Council does take such drastic action, what should he do? He cannot allow Anakin to remain imprisoned, not when his help is invaluable, and besides, Anakin doesn't deserve such a fate. He doesn't deserve to be punished for Obi-Wan's mistakes.

"And if you're wrong? What then? Who will be able to subdue him if he succumbs?" challenges Oppo Rancisis. "It's a chance that we cannot afford to take."