Chapter 7 - Hardeen - Rewritten

Two days later, two days after Dooku explained the plan, Anakin's confidence in his fighting abilities has doubled, and he rightfully considers himself a master swordsman, on par with Dooku. Being the Chosen One, Anakin has a much stronger connection to the Force – though it's often overwhelming at times – which he uses to his advantage. Slowly, the magnitude of his pain and grief for Obi-Wan have begun to recede, though he still has moments where he can't imagine living without his brother. It will always be that way; Obi-Wan was, and always will be, his everything, and Anakin might be learning how to control himself, how to channel his pain into something constructive, but the moment the mission is finished, he thinks he'll shatter entirely. And even if he doesn't, the longing will take years to fade, and his love for Obi-Wan will never lessen.

"You should accompany me when I go to greet our late arrivals. Eval is finally here," Dooku informs Anakin, who lets out an exaggerated groan, carefully gauging the Count's reaction. Sometimes, he's incredibly strict, taking no arguments from Anakin, and sometimes, he simply ignores Anakin's protests. Today is the latter day apparently. Anakin is always wary of pushing Dooku too far because he'd rather not fight the elder man, not with their long, complex history of being adversaries.

"Okay, fine. I'll come." Anakin stands up, striding out of the room after Dooku. How lucky that he's wearing his armor; he'd rather not be recognized.

They walk out to the landing pad, surrounded by four MagnaGuards, stopping at the top of the stairs. Anakin watches silently as three beings descend from the ship, his eyes narrowing behind the helmet. Three? There were supposed to be two. Moralo Eval and Cad Bane. He recognizes them, but the third man he does not. Something about him seems so familiar, though Anakin can't place why. The helmet concealing his face doesn't help either.

The first, Eval, rushes towards them. "Count Dooku, I apologize for my delay," he announces hastily as two of the MagnaGuards point their electrostaffs at him. He glances at them, a slightly worried expression on his face.

Dooku's expression indicates he's not particularly forgiving of the delay. "Your careless delay could have ruined my plans, Eval," he practically snaps, "I see Cad Bane is with you. Who is the other one?"

Eval pauses, almost as though he just remembered his companions. He turns to look over his shoulder as the two approach him. "This is Rako Hardeen," he explains, "When Bane's escape plan failed, we only succeeded thanks to Hardeen. I thought he might be useful for the tournament."

Hardeen. Rako Hardeen. The bounty hunter who had murdered Obi-Wan, his master, his best friend, his brother. And he's walking free, while Obi-Wan is dead. A haze of white-hot anger and pain rush through him, and Anakin snaps.

***

Obi-Wan hadn't counted on Dooku having another apprentice, if that's who the masked man is, but he doubts it will affect his ability to perform his mission. Hopefully. At least until a snarl escapes the man, his body going rigid. So much anger and hatred swirl in his Force signature, that it almost makes Obi-Wan flinch. Almost.

"Enough small talk, I want my money," asserts Bane, crossing his arms stubbornly.

"That makes two of us," Obi-Wan adds, still slightly uncomfortable with his new voice, keeping a wary eye on Dooku's companion.

That's when he lunges towards the group. Straight towards Obi-Wan. He can't shake off the feeling that the man has something against him. Personally. Or more accurately, against Hardeen, since that's who he currently resembles. He's slightly surprised when Dooku's arm flies out, catching the man before he can move too far.

"There is no time to deal with personal grudges, Lord Vader," hisses Dooku, frowning at the man.

"But –" the man – Vader – protests. Obi-Wan notes that he appears to have a vocoder in his helmet which distorts his voice.