Bonus Chapter - Padme

It's been two sleepless nights since Padme heard the news of Obi-Wan's kidnapping, and she has yet to reach any reasonable conclusion. Even after knowing Anakin so well, he often remains something of a mystery. She knows that he's fiercely protective of everyone he cares for, which will currently include herself and Ahsoka, and to a lesser extent, the 501st; she doesn't know how he currently feels towards Obi-Wan, but Anakin had thought him dead anyways.

Whyever Anakin left, it likely was because he wanted to protect her – them – from something. But what? What could he have learned which he deemed important enough to leave and masquerade as a Sith? Or is she looking at this all wrong? Maybe he is a Sith now. She's not sure, but she can't say that she'd be terribly shocked. Anakin is a wonderful person, but he had a violent temper at times, and the thought of him joining the Sith if he thought it would protect her or someone isn't too farfetched.

But Palpatine is someone Anakin has long considered a friend, something which Padme is less than happy about, and while she can't exactly condone his attempted murder of the Chancellor – because she positively certain that it was Anakin on Naboo – she can say that she's not entirely displeased either. Palpatine has been gathering too much power, and it's disturbing her and many other Senators. But Anakin doesn't even care for politics, so whatever happened must be unrelated.

So, she's still stuck with two questions, neither of which she can deduce the answers to. First, why did Anakin join Dooku? Was it of his own free will or was it by force? Second, why would Anakin try to kill Palpatine? Did he want to or was it because of something else? That Obi-Wan was kidnapped would seem to indicate that Anakin must be a willing participant. Unless someone was in immediate danger, Anakin would never cave in to blackmailing.

Then, if Anakin is, in fact, willingly working with Dooku, Padme just needs to figure out why. And she's thought about it repeatedly without determining anything she didn't already know. She even talked to Sabe and Dorme about it, but neither were able to give her any new suggestions or ideas. Fine. Maybe she needs to wait – and, of course, watch Palpatine very carefully. If something is wrong, maybe her observations alone will be enough to guide her to the right answer.

***

They weren't. Padme had been expecting many things, but Palpatine being the Sith Lord behind the war and the blockade of Naboo certainly was not one of them. It only drives home how politicians can be deceitful and untrustworthy. As the Republic is unravelling around her, Padme can't help but feel distracted by concerns for Anakin.

She hasn't seen him since he came to her apartment before leaving with Dooku, so she has no way of knowing where he is and how he's doing, especially since it's been a week since his expulsion from the Order. Well, he's not been branded a traitor, and she does know what he's doing, so maybe she can try calling his private commlink?

Padme doesn't know the exact time difference between Coruscant and Serenno, so she can only hope that it's not in the middle of the night there. It's during the afternoon break in the Senate now, which is good because she won't have to worry about being disturbed. Pulling out her commlink, she enters Anakin's frequency and waits hopefully, heart pounding maybe a little faster than it ought to be.

It's been so long, and she's missed her husband terribly. Trusting in the Force to keep him safe really isn't how she'd imagined her life would be, but it's a reality, and like it or not, she has to live with it. She knew the risks when she married him, and she's never, not even once, regretted it, even if she does dislike all the secrecy.

The call connects, and Anakin's figure appears. He looks much better than when Padme last saw him, and despite the obvious tension in his body, he seems... happy. Well, that's interesting. She really wonders what happened between him and Dooku, especially being as the last she knows, he hated the Count.

"Hello, Padme," Anakin greets her softly, his expression showing just how happy he is that she called.

"Ani," she whispers, relief flooding through her when she sees that he's well, or well considering the circumstances. "I've been so worried about you."

"I know," he murmurs, smiling faintly. "I didn't want to worry you, but I suppose you must know everything now."

She nods. "I know about Sidious and about what the Council decided."

Resentment flickers through his gaze, and some of his levity seems to fade. "I don't want to talk about it," he states flatly, sighing. "How have you been? I've been meaning to call you, but the timing has never quite worked out."

Padme hums. "Better now that I'm talking to you and can see that you're alright." She hesitates slightly. She's never really talked to Anakin much about her political concerns, just as he doesn't usually complain about his concerns regarding the war. But now, she wonders if they should change that. They don't have to hide anymore, and open communication will do them both a lot of good.

"Everything in the Senate is really stressful right now," she finally tells him. "It's unbelievable how much control Palpatine got. If you had gone after him even months later, it might have been too late. It'll take us years to undo the damage he's done."

Anakin makes a face. "I should have realized something was wrong with him," he mumbles.

Padme gives him a stern look. "Ani, you can't blame yourself," she reproves him. "He's an expert at manipulation, and you've known him since you were a child. I've known him much longer than you, so if anyone is at fault, it's me. I'm the one who put him in power."

"You can't blame yourself if I can't!" Anakin retorts firmly.

How did she know he was going to say that? "How are you?" she asks instead, turning the focus away to something else.

"I'm fine," he replies. "Obi-Wan and I have probably finished sorting everything out, and Dooku has been helping us and Ahsoka learn more about the Force." Padme notices that he seems happier, more content even, and she has to wonder if meeting Dooku was a blessing in disguise, which is ironic considering who he is and what he's done.

"Good," she breathes with relief. "Good. Be careful, Ani. I know you'll be hunting down Sidious, and it won't be easy."

"No," he agrees with a laugh, "It won't be, but all of us are a formidable force together. We intend to go after him as a team." Anakin turns his head, as if he's looking at someone out of the transmission. "I have to go soon." He sounds reluctant.

"It's okay," she reassures him. "You can call me around the same time tomorrow. It's during my afternoon break right now."

He brightens. "I will," he promises. "I love you, Angel."

"I love you too, Ani," she answers softly, and Anakin disconnects the call. Padme thinks that maybe will be alright. She has faith in Anakin's strength, and with Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Dooku, he'll be nearly invincible. Hopefully, it will be enough to destroy Sidious. She'd trusted in the Force until now to keep him safe. Why not have faith for a little longer?