Chapter 5 - Sith Apprentice

Anakin watches through the window at the wreckage which was once his starfighter. It shouldn't be long before it gets reported, and the Jedi come to investigate. Let them decide what they will. He has a job to do, and all that matters is that they think him dead. Let the galaxy mourn him. Obi-Wan deserved it more than he did, and in a sense, this is in honor of his memory.

He's risking his life and soul to save a galaxy that may not even deserve to be saved, but he's doing it for Obi-Wan. "They did their job well," remarks Anakin when he senses Dooku approaching behind him.

"Yes, they did," agrees the Sith, coolly surveying the damage. He turns to face Anakin, the complete picture of elegance, "Come, Skywalker. We have much to discuss on our return to Serenno. You must be aware of some of my master's plans."

With a heavy sigh, Anakin follows Dooku into a cabin and slumps down in a chair. He wants to sleep, but at the same time, he doesn't. When he sleeps, Obi-Wan's death replays in his mind over and over, and he thinks he'd be better off not sleeping. Anything to escape reliving the agony of his death.

If Dooku notes Anakin's physical state, he doesn't comment. That is probably for the best. Anakin doesn't know if he could deal with someone else trying to talk to him about it, much less a Sith who used to be his enemy only a short while ago. What he needs, he can never get. Not anymore. He roughly shoves back the memories. He needs to focus on the problem at hand. Sidious. He won't – can't – let him destroy everything he and Obi-Wan have fought so hard for.

"You do realize that you will have to disguise yourself," Dooku informs him, "A simple hood will not suffice. When in public, you should wear armor. It will not be difficult for me to provide it to you."

Anakin nods understandingly, "It is as I had expected." Actually, it wasn't. Not really. He hadn't even had a chance to think about it, but there's no sense letting Dooku know that. That is, if he doesn't already suspect that. If he does, he gives no indication.

The Count is silent, looking thoughtful. He turns his gaze back towards Anakin. "You must pretend to be my apprentice, and I shall endeavor to keep my master from discovering your existence. You will have a Sith name, but I do not expect, or want, you to call me master."

That's fine. It really is. Anakin is too tired, too far past caring, to argue the points with Dooku. Let him plan out the details. Anakin is willing to simply step in and fight when called upon. Whatever he must do to help destroy Sidious, he'll do. Anything aside from becoming a real Sith. He closes his eyes, slowly letting out a breath before nodding. It's an almost defeated gesture, one which he's certain tells Dooku that he has no fight left in him. Not right now.

The Dark Side surges in the room, and Anakin opens his eyes, watching Dooku wearily. The Sith rises, standing before him, power practically crackling around him. "Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth –" he pauses, his voice beginning to sound darker as he taps into the Dark Side, "Vader."

For a moment, Dooku stands there before gracefully returning to his seat. "Now, I think it will be important for me to teach you about the Dark Side. I do not want you to become a Sith, Skywalker. At least not the kind of Sith that my master is."

Getting a Sith name. Learning more about the Dark Side. What's next? Anakin doesn't know, and he doesn't really care either. At least not right now. He's too tired. Sleep. He needs to sleep. His eyes drift closed again, and he rubs his face, trying to keep himself awake.

"Get some sleep, Skywalker. You'll need it." He faintly hears Dooku's voice, barely registering when the Sith Lord rises and exits the room. With an effort he moves over to the bed and lays down. If his mind won't torment him with memories of Obi-Wan, maybe he'll feel better when he awakens. Maybe.