Chapter 1 - Dooku - Rewritten

Dooku is not in a good mood. He came to Coruscant to meet his master – true – but he had hoped to enlist Kenobi to help him destroy Sidious. Obviously, that won't be happening anymore, not since he's dead. Dooku is not happy that a bounty hunter was able to kill the Jedi Master. It shouldn't have happened, but unless the Jedi are up to something, it did. So now, he must find an alternative.

He paces through the secret alleys in Coruscant, trying to decide upon his next course of action. It shouldn't be hard to find help, but what he really needs is a Jedi. Someone who will be able to fight a Sith Lord and emerge the victor. He wants someone with skill. Kenobi fit all his requirements; finding a replacement will be challenging.

As he walks, the Force seems to nudge him in a certain direction. It's always guided him in the past, so he chooses to follow its direction. Perhaps he will find an answer to his quandary. When he senses a strong Force signature ahead, he pauses, reaching out. A Jedi. What would a Jedi be doing in this area? And he recognizes it. Skywalker.

Dooku probes him delicately, careful to keep himself masked to avoid recognition. Maybe this is an answer. Kenobi trained Skywalker, and while he has little interest in the boy, he could still prove useful. Yes, this might be perfect. Maintaining an outward sense of calm, Dooku strides closer, stopping in the shadows as he observes Skywalker sitting on a crate, head resting in his hands.

Curious. The boy seems upset about something, probably Kenobi's death. Understandable, but it's not the Jedi way. Jedi are supposed to be calm and composed, and Skywalker seems to possess neither of those traits. It's why Dooku has never has an interest in him. He's too unpredictable, too emotional. He doesn't know what potential Qui-Gon ever saw in him.

Kenobi was the epitome of everything the Jedi symbolized, with perfect emotional control, using and valuing logic over emotions. Skywalker is his opposite in every way. It's surprising really, how a Jedi like Kenobi could have trained him. He has no control. It's a wonder the Council even tolerates him.

As he's standing there, Skywalker's astromech droid whistles something. Skywalker shifts before muttering, "Not yet, Artoo. I don't want to go back." He sounds like he's been crying. Dooku can sense a vortex of pain and grief swirling around him and presses his lips together, holding back a scathing remark. Skywalker has no control whatsoever. It's simply disgraceful.

He can understand grieving over losing someone; he's done it himself, but never at the cost of his emotional control. He doesn't want to work with Skywalker – it would not be ideal, but he can still do it. He doesn't even know if the boy would be willing, given their past differences and the nature of their encounters. Kenobi trained Skywalker – he clearly saw something in the boy, the same thing that Qui-Gon had seen – but Dooku doesn't know what it is they, and the rest of the Jedi, admire. Skywalker is not an ideal Jedi. He has too many flaws, but he's never criticized for them. He gets praise instead of condemnation.

But to destroy Sidious, Dooku needs someone with skill. Skywalker might lack the emotional control of Kenobi, but he has enormous potential. Perhaps he could get the boy to join him and teach him what the rest of the Jedi have overlooked. Emotions have power, but they must be controlled. And, he muses to himself, he could derail his master's plans by getting the boy on his side. If Skywalker is against Sidious, he'll never join him. It's – it's perfect.

Dooku slowly walks forward, gracefully stepping from the shadows where he'd been observing Skywalker silently. He gets the attention of the droid, just as he'd expected. It whistles frantically, pulling the attention of its owner away from his misery. Skywalker looks up, his expression becoming comically stunned when he sees Dooku. The Sith has been watching him for many minutes, and he didn't even realize it. Pathetic.