Chapter 26 - Launching the Attack

Start from the beginning

Palpatine is definitely enjoying this moment. He's got all the information on Anakin, and they both know it. And now, he's going to tell Obi-Wan everything, hoping to get him to turn on his brother. If not, he'll at least shake up Anakin enough make it hard for him to focus on the battle. Anakin knows all of it, but it's not easy for him to simply pretend it's not bothering him. Dooku was right. Sidious is going at all his weaknesses. He's dragging forth all his biggest fears.

"I'm referring to his massacre of a camp of Tusken Raiders," the Sith Lord continues, "He killed them all: men, women, and children." Anakin clenches his jaw, fighting back the urge to wipe the smug smirk off the man's face. It's infuriating. But if he reacts, he'll simply be helping him in the long run. He did learn from his first duel with Dooku when he lost his arm. He won't repeat the same mistake again. He must control his emotions, hard though it may be.

"I don't believe you," Obi-Wan answers, his voice low.

"Well then ask him yourself!" returns Palpatine, "He'd probably even tell you why he did it, but he'll never admit how enjoyable it was for him to kill them. Or how addictive he found the power of the Dark Side." He turns his focus back to Anakin. "You know how much you want it, Anakin. Join me, and I'll give you all the power you could want."

His control is slipping further and further. He can feel it, and he knows everyone else can to. Anger takes up residence with the lurking fear, pushing him towards the darkness. "Stop it," Anakin chokes out, his breathing irregular. His entire body is tensed as he fights against the lure of the Dark Side.

"You know you want the power," murmurs the Sith Lord, his voice low and caressing, "The power to avenge those who hurt the people you love. The power to keep the people you love safe."

"Anakin, don't listen to him," interjects Obi-Wan. Anakin can feel him reaching out towards him through the Force, sending calming emotions and letting him sense his love.

"The Dark Side is the only way you can keep everyone safe," pushes Sidious, "Especially Padme." Something inside him snaps when he hears his wife's name mentioned.

"Don't talk about her!" yells Anakin, his anger finally breaking loose. It's not dark though. He can still feel. Good. He's not gone dark again, and he'll hold on as long as he has a choice. He won't let himself slip into the Dark Side. Never again.

"I had forgotten that you neglected to inform your master about your marriage," Palpatine sneers cruelly. It takes all of Anakin's willpower to restrain himself from lunging at the Sith Lord.

"Actually, I already knew," Obi-Wan comments blithely, a brief look of satisfaction flickering across his face, "Anakin didn't need to tell me."

Surprise wells up inside Anakin. All this time and Obi-Wan knew? He – they – had been so careful. How could he know? Anakin glances over at his brother, meeting his eyes for a moment. He's being honest. Anakin can sense it in the Force. But what's more, he's – he's not even upset. It seems Sidious didn't expect that either; that much is obvious in the surprised and slightly disappointed look on his face.

"This has gone on long enough," Dooku speaks in a bored tone, "It's perfectly clear that Anakin will not be joining Sidious, so let's get on with this." He brings his lightsaber up into a prepared stance, and Anakin mimics his moves. The three men stand facing Sidious. Slowly, the Sith Lord turns towards his desk before pushing a button.

"I'm sorry," Dooku continues, smirking, "You will not be able to call for help. I know you well enough to know that you have secret communication devices – which are now jammed."

A snarl escapes from Sidious, and Anakin feels a surge in the Dark Side. He braces himself for the coming attack, trying to channel away his dark emotions and reach for his love for Obi-Wan. Even after finding out the truth about the Raiders, he hasn't left him – yet. One thing at a time. He'll just take things one at a time, so he doesn't break from under the stress.

That's when Sidious attacks. He moves so fast in a blur of crimson Anakin can hardly see him. That's fine. He doesn't need to rely on his eyes. The Force will be enough. His blade crashes into Obi-Wan's, but the Jedi Master hardly moves an inch. Dooku swings towards him, Sidious blocking his blow. Anakin attacks next, falling into the normal pattern he uses when fighting with Obi-Wan. He generally goes on the offensive, while Obi-Wan remains defensive.

Their lightsabers clash over and over, no one able to score a successful hit. Dooku was right again. Sidious is one of the best duelists Anakin has ever seen. He can't even recognize the pattern he uses to fight, but as the duel progresses, he slowly adapts his own strategy to counter it. Soon, he leaps over Sidious to launch an attack on the other side, but the Sith is ready.

He extends a hand, and the Dark Side surges. Anakin is sent flying back. Without wasting a second, Dooku and Obi-Wan increase their attacks to keep his attention diverted. Sidious stabs towards Dooku who ducks just in time. Regaining his footing, Anakin lunges towards Palpatine, sending a Force push towards him to throw him off balance.

The Sith Lord stumbles, almost losing his arm to Obi-Wan's lightsaber. By now, they're in the outer office which provides much more maneuverability. They're successfully keeping Sidious at bay, but Anakin gets the sinking feeling that they'll need a lot more to actually win. He's still too shaken up by the revelations to properly channel his emotions, but it's now or never. If they don't win now, they'll likely never get another chance. The Senate will have too much security. Something must change and fast.