Chapter 20: The Seige of the North Part 1

Start from the beginning

I'm taken aback, unsure what to say. I knew it, would be a good starting place but I don't think this is time.

After a moment of searching through the masses, Sokka joins us with a sad look on his face, not saying much. Katara hugs him as well, making sure he wasn't hurt but he just brushed her off and lead us inside.

Eventually, a meeting began and the tribe leader bellowed, "The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The fire nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness, I call my family here before me knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe. They will never vanish from our hearts. Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the ocean, spirit of the moon, be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission."

"Count me in," Sokka stands.

"Sokka," I scoff.

"Be warned. Many of you will not return. Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task." More and more people of the northern tribe lined up for the king as he painted lines on their forehead, symbolizing their sacrifice to their tribe. Including Tiko! What is with my guy friends?! Why do they feel they have to do this?

• • •

Soldiers were lined up on the large ice wall protecting the tribe. I stood with Katara, Aang, Sokka and Appa as we waited for the fire nation to attack. The same feeling from earlier settled uncomfortably in my stomach as the first ship came into sight. From miles away, they shot a flaming ball and it hit the wall perfectly, causing it to collapse beneath us. I yell as the falling ground takes me down with it, tossing and turning me on the way. Luckily with it being snow, it didn't hurt too bad and I was able to get back up after a mental check of my body.

"Katara!" I hear Sokka's voice call out and walk in that direction. All three of us look up in fear as more and more fire is launched into the city.

"We are so in over our heads," I admit nervously as flames melted the ice.

Eventually, Sokka had to leave us because of signing up for the kings special mission. I felt utterly useless if I'm being honest. Until I can get more up close and personally with some soldiers, I don't really have a reason to be here. I can't bend nor do I have a way to fight from a distance. Instead, I join Katara and Yue as they watch the scene unfold from further back.

"They've stopped firing," Yue points out and I furrow my brows. What game are they playing here?

"Aang!" Katara's voice brings me back to reality. Him and Appa flew their way to us and land in an open area nearby.

We all run up to him as he crumbles to the ground. Aang admits with regret on his tongue, "I can't do it."

"What happened?!" Katara asked.

"I must've taken out a dozen fire navy ships but there's just too many of them," Aang sounded so desperate, "I can't fight them all."

"But you have too," Yue begs, "you're the avatar."

"I'm just one kid," He corrects before ducking his head into his arms as Katara and I move to comfort him.

"Let's take a walk," Yue suggests and begins to lead us to another part of the tribe's palace. While Aang began to calm down, we stopped at a perfect view of the now darkened sky, stars shining clear as day. Yue tells us, "The legend said the moon was the first waterbender. Our ancestors saw how it pushed and pulled the tides and learned how to do it themselves."

"I've always noticed my waterbending is stronger at night," Katara revealed.

"Our strength comes from the spirit of the moon. Our life comes from the spirit of the ocean. They work together to keep balance."