2.28

"Do you remember anything from before me?" Roman whispered as the two of them just sat there in bed. Well, Roman sat there, staring at the notebook laid beside him as Virgil rested with his head on Roman's lap. The god couldn't deny that the contact was amazing. He had remembered the last time he felt so... loved. 

"No. No, I don't." Roman's eye's darkened as Virgil sighed lost in thought. "Honestly, the very first thing I remember... would be when I started the mission. I left the island in search of Thomas." Roman just listened in silence as Virgil frowned, pushing further into him. "I got thrown off a boat and ended up on a small little island with Thomas's cave... You... You were there... in a cave in."

"Right." Virgil's eyes darted up as Roman glanced off in thought. "I think I read about that in a journal. Thomas had become TeKa and he trapped in... trying to kill me."

"But I found you and saved your life." Roman met his gaze and Virgil smiled happily seeing the pink the flashed about. "Actually no." 

"Hmm?"

"That wasn't the first thing I remember." Roman's eyes narrowed in confusion as Virgil looked around the room. "Where's flounder?" He could feel Roman tense up as he slowly pushed himself up only to wince at the pain in his side. He hadn't healed completely, being that it was slow now that he wasn't a full god. "Where..."

"I'll get him." Virgil smiled as he crashed back onto the bed letting Roman crawl around him to get his stuffed fish. He had to laugh. He never thought he would find himself here. "Here you go."

"Flounder!" Virgil sang softly as he gingerly pulled the fish in. Roman just watched, this blossoming of pride in his chest that he didn't understand. Virgil glanced up seeing the royal purple and he laughed. "Thank you, Roman. You've kept such good care of him."

"I don't... I'm... confused." Virgil giggled softly making Roman's eyes flash pick, as he quickly got back up on the bed and sat beside him. "Virgil?"

"I missed Flounder." Roman faltered as Virgil spoke so softly it was hardly heard. "Not as much as I missed you and Alex but... I missed him all the same. He was comfort."

"He's mine too... I guess." Virgil nodded as he squeezed it tightly before passing it off to Roman. Virgil watched as Roman gently took it back before smiling as he held it close, a sense of calm coming over him. 

"You gave him to me, you know?" Roman's eyes snapped up as Virgil just smiled. "That's the first thing I remember. A memory from when I was 5 and then... black until I started the mission."

"5? Really?" Virgil nodded as he shifted again till he was laying his head on him like before. Roman placed flounder on Virgil's chest as the two of them both held the fish lightly. "Why did I..."

"I was lost." Roman's eyes flashed as Virgil stared off as if remembering something not entirely pleasant. "I was just this small little boy, lost in the mainlands. At the time, you and Thomas weren't friends anymore..."

"Because of a promise I made."

"You seriously wrote that down?" Roman frowned as Virgil glared up at him protectively. "That promise... I would've been more than happy for you to forget."

"Why?" Virgil cringed making Roman tense with worry as his hand absentmindedly trailed through the younger's hair. "All I did was make a promise to break Thomas's heart. I'm pretty sure I wrote that everywhere. For some reason, I refused to let myself forget it... As if..."

"You seriously can't forgive yourself?" Roman's eyes darkened at the sound of Virgil's weakened lull. Virgil laid there staring blankly at the was as he tried not to cry. "It's been so long. You've forgotten me. I thought... I thought maybe you would have forgotten that too."