9

(Trigger warning~Death and stillbirth mentioned)

"Virgil? Virgil, kiddo, you got to wake up." Virgil stood there in the black nothingness he was thrust into with narrowed eyes "Virgil? Come on, Kiddo. Please?"

"Dad?" Virgil frowned as he held his hand out watching the darkness twist and warp as his smoke in the air. "Where am I?"

"Virgil?" The young man jumped spinning around to find Thomas standing there. Yes, Thomas... His Thomas. Not that demon Te Ka one, but the one he knows personally.

"Thomas?" Virgil stumbled back as Thomas moved closer only for the god to freeze seeing the fear him the boy. "Are you... you?"

"What do you mean?" Virgil took another step back putting more distance between them as Thomas narrowed his eyes in obvious concern. "Virgil, you're scared of me. Why?"

"Father, said you're Te Ka."

"HE DID WHAT?!" Virgil flinched as Thomas reeled with fear. "Why would he say that? What would have caused him to..." Thomas froze up as Virgil shook and suddenly it was made clear. "I didn't go to sleep." Virgil frowned as he hesitantly looked back to find Thomas seemingly frozen. "Why didn't I go to sleep?"

"I don't know what you're talking about but I remember you saying something about losing more time with me. That and you had promised to be there for the ceremony."

"That doesn't make sense though. I knew... I knew what would happen if I didn't..." Thomas smiled sadly as he shook his head. "You must be so frightened of me. If you met that version of me, that is."

"Thomas, I don't know what to think. I don't even know what's going on." Thomas glanced around and sighed as he snapped and suddenly the word was filled with color. Thomas walked over to this couch and Virgil's eyes widened seeing they were in this house he'd never actually been to before.

"Have a seat, Virgil? This is going to be a very long story." Thomas smiled as he waved his hand over the table summoning two glasses both filled with cola. Virgil was tense. That much was for sure but he still sat across from his friend regardless of the apprehension. "First I should ask... Did I or your parents ever say anything?" Virgil shook his head as he stared at his hands. 

"Just that you were Te Ka... and then you said you were Te Ka and Te Fiti... which really confused me." Thomas laughed as he nodded.

"Yes well, it can be..." Thomas's eyes darkened as Virgil looked back up at him. "But it is true, Virgil. I am both. It just depends on the time... or the circumstances." Thomas carefully took his glass with a solemn look as he smiled sadly staring into his reflection in the dark liquid. "I was originally a demon." Virgil tensed as he went to grab his own cup freezing slightly as Thomas frowned. "I wasn't particularly nice either but... I started to see the good in the world. I... I started to see the good in people. I had actually met this young man, who attempted to heal me despite my clear markings proving what I was. He said he didn't care." Thomas's eyes darted up to find Virgil watching with a confused look and Thomas smiled. "Demons aren't really supposed to 'care' about things. Some do, however. I know about a particular demon that actually fell in love. He's the most manipulative and ly of demons but when it comes to the person he fell for he'll do anything for them. I fell for the beauty of everything. The goodness people showed. It contrasted so much with me and everything I knew that I wanted to see more. Then I wanted to protect it... and then I wanted to nurture it... It wasn't long till I found myself creating them. That was when I started to notice things were changing." Thomas brushed his fingers against his cheek and smiled. "I wasn't demonic anymore. I looked in the mirror and saw a reflection of someone who belongs there. I saw a god."

"Thomas, you can't be..." Thomas just laughed and the sound along shook the world.

"I am, Virgil. I am Te Fiti." Virgil's hands shook as he stared down at nothing in particular. 

"But... You can't be. That... That would mean that you're..." Thomas's eyes flashed as Virgil's darted up to meet his. "You're the one that blessed me?"

"Oh, I did more than just bless you, Virgil." Thomas actually started to cry as he set his cup down. "Virgil... I'm your Father." Everything seemed to crash around him as Virgil froze up completely. "Now I know what you're going to say. That's not possible. Gods don't have kids. I'm not a god... Yes, I know, just hear me out." Virgil nodded hesitantly as Thomas smiled with relief. "20 years ago I met this woman named Val. She was so sweet and kind. The bestest friend I could have asked for but... she was very sick... and she was pregnant with you." Virgil's eyes widened as Thomas looked away. "I tried really hard to keep her healthy and stable... and for the most part I did but... you weren't doing very well at all. I couldn't exactly take her to the doctors, she was in a lot of danger. If I had taken her, the people she was running from could've have found her so... I did what she asked and did the best I could. You... you weren't thriving at all... and when it came time to deliver you..." Thomas's eyes darkened as his hands shook. "You weren't alive."

"What are you talking about? I am clearly..." Thomas's eyes met his and Virgil froze up again. "Thomas, what are you talking about."

"You weren't alive when you were born Virgil. It was a stillbirth. I held you in my arms and I couldn't feel anything. There was no life in you. You were so small and cold and... so very sickly." Virgil sat there in confused horror as he subconsciously felt for a pulse. "Your mother was failing and I had to make a choice. She took one good look at you and smiled saying I better be the best father." Thomas's voice shook as he clenched his hands tightly. 

"But if I was never alive how am I..."

"I gave you my heart."