6

"I just don't understand it, Joan." Virgil sighed as he collapsed onto his bed. "Why does my father want me to be chief so badly. I'm only 19. He didn't take his father's place till he was 26."

"It's going to be ok, Virgil. He's just a tad overprotective. He wants to make sure you can handle everything."

"Overprotective?" Virgil shot the other a look as he shook his head. "He's overworking. There's a difference."

"Don't you remember when you all took that trip to the mainland?" Virgil tensed as Joan narrowed their eyes at him. "Your father came back yelling that you were never leaving the island again."

"I was 5..." Virgil hugged himself as he looked away. "...and so far he's kept to his word. But that's the thing too... I don't understand why he was so upset." Virgil got up and moved to his closet pulling out this stuffed flounder. Joan smiled slightly as Virgil hugged it close. "He freaked out over nothing. So what if this guy gave me a stuffy."

"That's what I'm saying, Virgil. Logan is very protective of you." Virgil slowly walked back over to the bed hugging his stuffed fish tightly as Joan just smiled sadly at him. "He and Thomas both are if you think about it. I remember you coming home crying because of all that and Thomas nearly had a meltdown. Something about it being to close a call." Joan sighed as they ran a hand through their hair. 

"They're acting as if there's someone who wants to kill me. No one even knows this island exists." Joan frowned as Virgil shook slightly on his bed. "He was nice and they all acted like he was this villain. The only bad thing that happened was I got lost and started to panic really badly. He helped me find my parents again. He gave me the stuffy so that I could calm down. Yet... the moment they saw him Father snapped. I don't even know what Thomas was thinking. It was like he vanished the moment he saw the guy. They treated him like the bad guy but he saved me."

"I didn't know you remembered so much." Virgil narrowed his eyes as he just stared at nothing. "Have you spoken to them about it?"

"No. When would I even have the time? Father's insisting on work and training all hours of the day. Dad changes the subject every time I try to bring it up. Thomas hasn't been looking to well so I don't bother with him. He should focus on himself and not something that happened 14 years ago."

"But Virgil... what about the night..."Virgil glared over at his friend causing them to clam up in surprise. "...mares."

"I'm fine Joan. Besides, I never remember them anyway. They could have nothing to do with that. And when it comes to my anxiety... I'll learn to manage." Virgil let his hands drop watching the stuffed fish fall onto his covers and he sighed. "It's not like I'll ever get the chance to leave this place anyway." Joan looked away as Virgil started to tear up. "14 years I've been stuck on this island. 14 years and I don't even know what real ice cream tastes like and not that crappy coconut icecream dad makes."

"Your 19, Virgil. Your Father can't keep you here if you don't want to be." Virgil deflated a bit as his eyes narrowed. "You can leave..."

"I've tried. Father's made it so no one will take me off this bloody rock." Virgil threw himself back hitting his head on the wall and winced slightly at the sudden pain. "If I wanted off I'd have to steal my own damn boat."

"Why not just..." Virgil's eyes darkened making Joan stop as the unsaid words floated about the younger one's mind. Why not just ask the ocean to help? Virgil knew that was what Joan was going to ask. Why not ask the ocean? Simple...

"The ocean won't help. Not with this. Just like the rest of them, it wants me here. I just have to face facts, Joan. I'm never leaving. The ceremony is in a weak. If I was ever going to leave... I would have already done so."

"So that's it? You're just going to give up. Once you're chief that's it. You can't just..."

"I KNOW THAT, JOAN!" Virgil yelled causing the wind outside to flurry before calming a bit. "I know that. I don't have any other choice. I could try to leave again but where would that get me? They all want me here. And... I don't even know if I want to go."

"But you just said..."

"Dad said it's too dangerous." Joan's eyes darkened as Virgil hugged his knees. "He said that I am far too precious and that people would try to hurt me... to use me. At least here I know where I stand. Yes, I'm stuck like a prisoner but... I'm safe and I'm cared for. Out there there's just too much that could happen. I'm not normal, Joan. Who knows how people would react to me?"

"Virgil, you are no different than any of the Demi's..."

"Exactly, Joan." Virgil groaned as he cut Joan off. "I'm no different than a Demi. I am... a demi. I'm not human. I never was. Father said Te Fiti blessed me when I was a baby. That the ocean protected me and the wind comforted me. Dad said I was Te Fiti's favorite. That I was holding something very special inside me. They've been telling me this since I could remember."

"Virgil..." Joan took Virgil's hands as they sat down on the bed beside him. "You are your own person. Regardless of whether you're human, demi, or demon. You can choose what you want in life. If you don't want to be here, then go..."

"I... I-I.." Virgil pulled his hands free as he looked away. "I just can't."

(This is what Virgil and Roman looks like in this lolz)