Chapter Eleven

Outside, Joshua wandered, unaware of his surrounds or that Larcin was following close behind. He kept moving, trying to outpace the guilt and pain that filled him. So many thoughts and questions filled his head, swirling around like buzzing insects.

          Was it worth all that suffering to have me?

          How had his father died?

          What was Jonathan's connection in all this?

          How did he get custody of me?

          Worse of all, what other ugly truths did he still have to face?

          Like a drunk, Joshua staggered around the walkways of the spaceport, oblivious to his surroundings.

          Unknowingly he strayed into a desolate section of the spaceport. There were fewer people around and the ones who were, where clearly not there with the best of intentions. Behind him, Larcin was becoming more and more nervous. Joshua's obviously rich appearance was starting to attract unwanted attention. Seeing three men detach themselves from the shadows of a pile of packing crates in front of Joshua, Larcin knew he had to act. Quickening his pace, he caught up with Joshua and grabbed his arm. He started to pull him back the way they had come.

          "Let's go back Joshua. This isn't a good place for either of us." Joshua looked at him with bare recognition. He limply turned to follow.

          "Hold on there!" One of the thugs now behind them called out. "We saw him first. Go find your own chump." The other two with him laughed menacingly.

          Turning back to face them, Larcin lifted is right hand, inner wrist facing outward. A bright star like a diamond embedded in the skin just below his hand shown in the dim light.

          "I'm sure you guys are bright enough to know what this is." Larcin told them. "Don't make me have to summon our authorities. You know how quickly they will be here."

          "Damn a Navigator!" The leader sneered before disappearing back into the shadows. The other two followed closely behind. Larcin lead Joshua back into a more brightly lit and populated area.

          "I'll call you a transport to take you home. You don't need to be wandering around out here like this."

           "NO! I can't go back there. I can't see that man, not now. Maybe not ever." Tears began to stream down Joshua's face again.

           Larcin called a transport and had it take them to a lower-class hotel on the outskirts of the spaceport. He booked a room under his own name and paid with physical credits.

           Through this all Joshua didn't say a word. He just stood next to Larcin, head down, shoulders slumped. He face was a mess of confusion and pain. His anguish tore Larcin's heart to shreds. All Larcin wanted to do was hold Joshua in his arms, try to comfort him, share his pain, make it better for him, but practical needs had to take precedence. The hotel had automated check in so there was no one there to question the odd looking pair. Larcin ushered an unresponsive Joshua into the lift that would take them up to the room.

          The room was at the top floor of the 10-story building. There was nothing special about it; a sitting room with a large video wall and two bedrooms with separate bathing rooms. Its most distinctive feature was a wall of floor to ceiling windows. There was a spectacular view of the city and the night sky through those windows. Reaching the room, Joshua insisted they leave the lights off. He headed directly to the windows and stared desolately out into the darkness. Tonight, the darkness of space wasn't as comforting as it used to be. Larcin came to stand behind him, close enough for Joshua to feel his presence.