Darius wondered if it would eventually turn into an issue. Would his Alpha persona take over forcing him to demand a larger role in the kingdom? Darius knew he couldn't be a true Alpha leader to the lycans. They acknowledged him as their king but that was all they could do. An Alpha had a stronger supernatural bond with his people, a claim he could never have.

There were 50 men waiting his command. Thirty five of them were vampires, the rest were lycans trying to prove their worth.

Darius approached them calmly and full of prestige. "Alcide! Are we lions?"

Marcus broke the horseplay and held the boy in his arms.

"Noooo!" He yelled as loudly as he could.

"What are we?" He directed the next question towards his troops.

The men and women under his command were perfectly positioned, arms behind their back and feet apart.

"Warriors!" They shouted in unison.

Darius smiled with gleaming pride. "We are?"

"Ferocious!" They replied louder.

"We are!" Darius asked again.

"Menacing!"

"We are!"

"Fearsome!" They answered on command, rehearsed.

"We are!"

"Sworn to protect every creature in this kingdom!"

Alcide repeated every word from heart. He aspired like every boy to grow as big and ruthless as his father's warriors.

Every member in his army had taken an oath. They would risk their lives to save innocent creatures; humans, vampires, lycans, or witches. They were dispatched around every part of the kingdom to keep peace and report back.

Darius used his ability to train his men. He took away some of their senses so that they could be ready for any kind of unknowing attack.

Adamarius stood back most of the time; keeping his nephew company. He'd whisper in his ear explaining the scenario and giving his opinion on how to win the fight.

Alcide was bubbling up with joy and suddenly Darius felt a ting of fatherly satisfaction.

Marcus lent his ability for the practice runs as well. It eventually turned into a hand to hand combat between brothers. They were an equal force. They had identical bodies but diverse skills.

"A king that trains his own men. Impressive." Ilsa was leaning on her hip, her silhouette accentuated by the skin tight dress she was wearing.

"It's also the reason we're undefeated," Marcus patted Darius' back calling a truce.

Ilsa snaked her way closer to the soldiers for a better look. She nodded in Adamarius' direction but he hardly paid her any attention.

"Only 50 men?"

"The others are already on patrol," Darius eyed her peculiarly. “I'm surprised to see you. Why are you here?”

He was aware of her lack of respect towards Deva the last time she was over. He understood why she didn't presumably like Deva but she had to be stupid or suicidal to pick a fight with a queen.

He didn't like the way she treated his wife.

Ilsa was an old friend he hadn’t seen in decades. Every memory he had of her was a pleasant one. She was much younger than him but he was always kind to her at events. They weren't necessarily close.

He was good friends with Sebastian her step brother so Ilsa would occasionally tag along.

“I volunteered to help Izzy with the hybrid moon party."

He didn't realize she and his sisters were friends.

“How are you?” He spoke sincerely.

Darius had felt guilty ever since the day she was forced to leave the realm. He was ashamed of what he did to her family. He never meant for his little affair with her mother to get complicated or last long.

He and Ilsa had grown up together. In an idealistic world she would have been the perfect girl for him if it hadn’t been for her mother. Sheena had seduced him and he hated admitting his weakness to fend her off.

He knew Ilsa had a crush on his back then but it didn’t stop him from pursuing the affair.

“I’m great and surprised to greet you as your majesty.” She bowed politely in jest.

“You thought it would be Lucian.” Darius felt like the entire universe expected his brother to be king instead of him.

“I wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s been so long.”

“It has.” They wandered down the path back up to the castle’s courtyard patio and a good distance from his men.

“It’s strange not having a mother anymore. Being a vampire you don’t expect to say goodbye.”

The touchy subject was bound to surface.
“I’m sorry you couldn’t make it to the funeral.”