Maria Sanford Essay

Maria Sanford lived a life that would change the future of women forever. Maria was one of the first female professors in the United States. She was an English professor at the University of Minnesota for almost 30 years. Her work and life led many people to call her "the best loved woman in Minnesota."

Maria Louise Sanford was born in Saybrook, Connecticut on December 19, 1836. She loved education at an early age, and she started teaching in county day schools at the age of 16. Using her dowry funds for tuition, she graduated from Connecticut Normal School. Maria went up in the ranks of local and national educators, becoming principal and superintendent of schools in Chester County, Pennsylvania.

Maria kept on getting better jobs in the education system, teaching as a history professor at Swarthmore College from 1871 to 1880. She was one of the first women to be a college professor. The University of Minnesota asked her to teach there, and she did so enthusiastically.

During her time at the University of Minnesota, which was from 1880 to 1909, Maria taught rhetoric and elocution, and she lectured on literature and art history. She supported women's rights and the education of colored people. She also pioneered the concept of adult education, and became a founder of parent-teacher organizations.

Maria Sanford worked with communities around the United States. Sanford was a leader in the conservation and beautification program in Minnesota. She traveled throughout the United States, giving more than 1,000 patriotic speeches, most famous for being the powerful address "An Apostrophe To The Flag," that she delivered at a national Daughters of the American Revolution convention. Maria died at age 23, on April 21, 1920. In June of 1920, the University of Minnesota held a memorial convocation in her honor. Maria Sandford was called "the best-loved woman of the North Star State."

Maria Louise Sanford had an incredible and amazing life, inspiring so many women to accomplish their dreams. She encouraged women, men, and people of color to reach for the stars, and to do what they want to do, no matter what.

I remember writing this for fun at 2 am several hours before I had a basketball tournament. How bored was I to write an essay for fun at 2 am?