Matter of Life or Death

One wintery day Alex, Jake, and Luke were on the way to school when a car spun out of control. Luke, who was in the way of the car got away fast enough but his sister Alex didn't. Alex instead got slammed in the back by the front of the car and was forced to go under the car. When the car came to a stop the driver got out and rushed towards Alex to see if she was okay. 

One minute later the ambulance came around the corner and stopped in front of the scene. They pulled out a stretcher and put Alex onto it. They got Jake and Luke safely into the ambulance and took off towards the hospital. At the hospital, they asked how and what had happened just five minutes earlier. When they told Jake and Luke that Alex had cracked several ribs and had a minor concussion they asked what would happen to her. 

"Well," said the doctor, who was feeling bad for the boys, "We are checking for anything else that she could have. And since Jake was kind enough to let us x-ray him we found out that Jake's left hip was moved when he bumped the car."

"So what does that mean?", asked Jake uncertainty. 

"It means you will need to have hip surgery and if you don't you will never be able to walk straight and do things like that ever again. Now you will need to have this surgery by tomorrow in order for you to be able to walk straight again," said the doctor, who was clearly not happy about the damage the accident had done to this very poor family. 

But Luke was determined to keep this family together even with what the family has already been through. 

"Why do I need to start the surgery by tomorrow? It does not make any sense," Jake said. 

"It does if you don't want to die on your 17 birthday," Luke said.

"What! How do you know? And I don't even know if that is possible," Jake said, stressed out.

And we never know what happens next because this is all that was written...