50. The Mantle of Power

"Brief me on the latest plan of action," Kim Hwanwook said by way of greeting, settling into his chair at the head of the horseshoe-shaped table in the conference room.

The Defence Minister cleared his throat. "The Ministry of Nation Defence suggests we withdraw all our military and paramilitary forces from different cities of the country, and deploy them here, for the protection of Seoul."

"And on what basis is this suggestion founded?"

"According to reports from our constituent cities," the Home Affairs Minister provided, "nearly all of their populations have succumbed to the infection up until last week. Those that remain uninfected are workers at observatories keeping the Aenigmi in captivity and maintaining whatever law and order they can. According to reports, Seoul has the largest majority of healthy cases among all South Korean cities."

"Which is why," the Defence Minister picked up where he had stopped, "I suggest we focus all our energy on annihilating the Aenigmi in the final war and protecting the uninfected in Seoul. Our forces will work more effectively if they are not scattered and have a limited region to safeguard. If we emerge triumphant, our remaining population will be the only hope for our country to start anew after the war."

"Annihilate the Aenigmi?" Namjoon asked from his seat next to the President, flabbergasted. The subtle eyeroll that the Minister tried to send his way did not go by unnoticed, but he argued nonetheless, "You do realise that annihilating the Aenigmi would mean killing off three-quarters of the South Korean population?"

In the silence that followed, President Hwanwook reached out an arm to drag the glass bowl placed at the centre of the conference table towards him, and stretched a long, calloused finger to sift through the transparent and sea green marbles inside. "I will not risk the lives of the healthy," he said, picking apart the five clear, transparent marbles from the bowl and sliding them into his breast pocket, "over the mere possibility of being able to save the sick." He lifted the glass bowl and turned it over, letting the ugly, sea green marbles scatter around the table only to tumble down onto the tiled floor.

The clinking sound of the fallen marbles only amplified the indignant screams of Namjoon's conscience.

"But we will have an antidote ready -"

"You and your scientist friend have been telling that to me since the past eight months, goddamnit!" Hwanwook yelled, pounding an angry fist on the table. The empty glass bowl rattled precariously at the edge. "And all for what? What have you given me? Nothing. It's about time Jeon Jungkook admitted his defeat and made himself useful in the war." The President stood up, fuming, and regarded the Ministers in the room sternly. "Proceed with this plan of action and keep me updated."

Namjoon stood to his feet, pursing his lips together in an attempt to infuse every ounce of faux politeness in his voice as he addressed the most powerful man in the country. "You and I both know that this is wrong, Uncle Kim."

Hwanwook halted a foot away from the door, whipping his head to the side so he could focus the brunt of his glare on his Secretary, hawk-like eyes narrowed and jaw clenched in indignation. "Don't call me that," he seethed in forewarning. "Before I am your uncle, I'm your President first. And you will treat me like one."

Then he was out of the room, just as mighty and conceited as he had entered it.

Namjoon then turned to the rest of the room, frowning incredulously. "And you're not going to express any opposition?"

"We are protecting those who need to be protected, Mr Secretary," the Defence Minister said, his stare patient and patronizing. "Our decision may not be ethical, but it's important."